AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maize and others Canadian Dollar hedge?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Maizeing
Posted 3/17/2016 19:38 (#5182740 - in reply to #5181877)
Subject: RE: Maize and others Canadian Dollar hedge?

Ontario's middle east
It would appear to me that a fairly effective hedge against a stronger Canadian dollar eroding unsold grain is to buy a call at a strike, a couple cents above the market. One contract covers $100k. I wouldn't buy any more then 6 months time at once to minimize time premium. If the dollar continues to weaken, you at least get own a lower strike on the next go round. So for new crop, you might look at buying a June call in Jan then replace it with a Dec in June. It looks like that should cost you about .75% per trade. To put that in perspective, our 8c run in the cad of late, just ate up $1.37cad/bu in cash price. On $100k worth of beans that is $12k or 12%.... Ouch. The other advantage over just selling basis at this point in the game, is your upside on basis is open if the dollar rout resumes. Good luck. I know people that hedge it with non deliverable forwards through their banks. To expensive for a tight wad like me. I trade the 6c CME contracts. I run it all in the front month and roll it near expiration when volume starts to build in the next futures month.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)