AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Drive Sprockets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 3/14/2016 07:35 (#5175050 - in reply to #5174819)
Subject: RE: Edge Row Yield Data

BobRecker - 3/14/2016 00:21 Folks, I'm proud that you are trying to make this work. This past year I had the opportunity to do a little experiment on the sides of a professional test plot that I planted for a corporation. I varied the edge row population from 35K up to 75K with interesting results. The link to the dropbox file below should work for you if you just click on it or copy and past into your browser. It's a big file because of the photos. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2z9i2ycctwpucw/Hi%20Pop%20Edge%20Plots.5.... Let me know if you have trouble with it; I can send you a file by e-mail. Summary: 1. Very Significant Yield Increase in OUTSIDE ROW and 2nd Row. 2. Yield increase is only in outer two rows. (4 row strips would max corn yield; 6 or 8 row strips are most likely to be successful) 3. The key is to get the outer row population up to 45K or so; the curve flattens out after that. 4. For the bean harvest, I'd suggest finding a used JD 643A Row Crop Head, and plan to spend some time & $ updating it or using a 15 ft platform like JD215 or JD915

How bad does this 4 or 6 row strip farming hurt the bean yields?      

All we ever see talked about is how it can increase corn yields but if the corn is getting increased yield from increased light absorption having the corn shade half of your bean crop has to hurt its yield.

I know that when we have beans right next to corn the first couple of rows next to the corn (were on 20") usually look like mostly straw with very few pods.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)