AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Drive Sprockets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 3/13/2016 05:34 (#5172673 - in reply to #5172553)
Subject: RE: Planter Drive Sprockets

Swenny79 - 3/12/2016 22:54

Where will these rows be on your 12 row and how wide are your strips? Consider this for 12 row strips. If you do 55, 44, 33, 33, 44, 55, and beans in the other 6, then you will end up with 55, 44, 33, 33, 44, 55, 55, 44, 33, 33, 44, 55, when you turn around at the end of the field. That puts high populations in the middle which wouldn't benefit you much.

Smaller driven sprokets speed up the drive. How many teeth on the driver?
Wouldnt the way to avoid what you describe be to skip every other pass, leaving 12 rows between every pass, and come back and plant the skipped 12 rows in the other direction, thereby putting the corn next to the beans, giving 6 rows of each across the field. Clear as mud? Ty, I've been trying to find a decent six row planter to play around with, but I'm not going to spend a lot of money on one, and the sales I've been to, the nice ones bring a lot. Heck, even the not so nice ones have been bringing way more than I'm gonna spend. Got a new to us, '13 model Kinze 3700 ASD in a 24 row, 30" for this year, so unless I can find the six row, the intercrop experiment isn't gonna happen for me this year. Greatly looking forward to how all this turns out for you. What planter are you using?

Edited by Boone & Crockett 3/13/2016 05:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)