AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Indian corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

waubs88
Posted 2/22/2016 21:06 (#5130552 - in reply to #5129853)
Subject: RE: Indian corn

NE IL
Used to grow an acre or two to sell to local markets. Good money maker, just time consuming.

We planted in 30" rows at roughly 25000/acre-object was hoping for longer ears
I think we may have put Aztec insecticide down with it at standard rate through the planter-don't quite remember
Harvested by hand when it was "dry"-honestly don't know how to answer that one. You just know. Basically you can tell by the color of the husk or when the ear drops
We used to pick, shuck it, and then lay all the ears out on the floor of a hay rack to dry. The markets we were working with wanted them tied into bundles of three. When an order came in we sorted through the rack, and bundled it up with twine. Depended on how many orders came in as to how long they sat on the rack. Sometimes I had an order to fill by the end of the week and it went straight from field to bundled, other times I would pick every night for a week until an order came in and all the corn was sitting there ready to bundle.

Does not take many acres to add up to a lot of corn. Do the math. 1 acre at 22500 plants, divided by 3 ears per bundle, roughly 7500 bundles/acre=A lot of tying twine by hand. Find some gloves.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)