AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fungicides in furrow. Emergence vs Mycorrhizae
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

baier91
Posted 1/29/2016 23:48 (#5074032)
Subject: Fungicides in furrow. Emergence vs Mycorrhizae

Northeast Nebraska
What is everyone's thoughts on in furrow fungicide? I have been thinking about using a dosatron setup for in furrow application of generic bifenthrin, fungicide, some sort of pgr, and a biological product. Side by sides with different mixes would obviously need to be done with some checks left as well. The biological and fungicide together part is what got me thinking.

Mycorrhizae are extensions of a root system and exponentially increase the surface area of a root system. They are crucial for P uptake because P moves very little by diffusion or mass flow in the soil. This is why many biologicals claim to increase P uptake such as the ones Monsanto bioag sell. Fungicides kill mycorrhizae. The in furrow fungicides reduce seedling disease and increase vigor by suppressing ethylene. Strobilurins suppress ethylene which is produced during plant stress which keeps the plant from slowing down under stress.

Are these two factors working against each other? In furrow fungicides improve emergence but is the detrimental effect to soil biology limiting nutrient uptake? Or is the detrimental effect limited to the furrow band and once the roots grow out of the band the mycorrhizae work properly?

Edited by baier91 1/29/2016 23:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page
undercover
Posted 1/30/2016 08:09 (#5074326 - in reply to #5074032)
Subject: RE: Fungicides in furrow. Emergence vs Mycorrhizae

SCMI
There's has been a little research surrounding this topic, and more to come I'm sure. In the meantime this may clear the water some.

Edited by undercover 1/30/2016 08:12

Attachments
----------------
Attachments (0KB - 60 downloads)
Attachments Effects-of-Fungicides-on-Mycorrhizal-Fungi-PDF.pdf (285KB - 295 downloads)
farmboy99
Posted 1/30/2016 08:16 (#5074340 - in reply to #5074032)

SE South Dakota
Dwayne Beck from the Dakota Lake Research Farm out east of Pierre SD has spoke on this topic directly. Follow the link below and email or call him.

http://www.dakotalakes.com/Contact.htm

He is one smart cookie.

Jim J
pehinric
Posted 1/30/2016 09:27 (#5074489 - in reply to #5074032)

East central Iowa, Camanche, Iowa
To me it is all about balance. In the soil you need fungi to keep bacteria in check and visa versa to get optimal nutrient release from the soil and optimum absorption by the roots. Unless the fungicide is specific enough to keep the bad fungi from proliferating and destroying that essential balance I see more of a downside than advantage.

Also soil conditions play an essential role in what microbes will proliferate. I question whether a small band of fungicide in furrow is enough to keep things in check during less than optimal soil conditions because the roots will soon grow out of that band of protection and be exposed to the excessive amount of pathogens outside of that zone.

Just my thoughts on a Sat morning,

Pete

Edited by pehinric 1/30/2016 09:32
lawfarms
Posted 1/30/2016 12:40 (#5074888 - in reply to #5074489)

King City, Mo
pehinric - 1/30/2016 09:27

To me it is all about balance. In the soil you need fungi to keep bacteria in check and visa versa to get optimal nutrient release from the soil and optimum absorption by the roots. Unless the fungicide is specific enough to keep the bad fungi from proliferating and destroying that essential balance I see more of a downside than advantage.

Also soil conditions play an essential role in what microbes will proliferate. I question whether a small band of fungicide in furrow is enough to keep things in check during less than optimal soil conditions because the roots will soon grow out of that band of protection and be exposed to the excessive amount of pathogens outside of that zone.

Just my thoughts on a Sat morning,

Pete

Orfarmer
Posted 1/30/2016 10:05 (#5074588 - in reply to #5074032)

Roanoke, IN
Do you want to concentrate your efforts on creating a suitable environment for the good to proliferate or concentrate efforts on killing the bad? A little competition never hurt anyone!

If there is a house, somebody will live in it. I would rather build a house on the good side of town than on the bad side and have to constantly evict my tenants.

Mycorrhizae only a very small piece to the microbe puzzle. But they are attracting all the press presently.

Microbes are very resilient. A little in furrow fungicide won't totally destroy what you have out there (good & bad). It may provide some returns in tough conditions, but I highly doubt you will see benefits from an every acre every year type of use. In furrow fungicide is one of those things that will set you back a little, and you will have to do other things to overcome its influence if you think you need it.
pehinric
Posted 1/30/2016 10:16 (#5074601 - in reply to #5074588)

East central Iowa, Camanche, Iowa
+1
Mikenesd
Posted 1/30/2016 10:06 (#5074590 - in reply to #5074032)

Clark SD

Found this. http://www.planthealthcare.com/pdf/Myconate/Fungicide%20effects%20on%20Mycorrhizal%20Fungi%20and%20Root%20Colonization%208-2009.pdf

Pvafarm
Posted 1/30/2016 11:57 (#5074813 - in reply to #5074590)

Southeast WI
Good information Mike. Real take home messages on fungicides are in that point #4 - they don't eradicate diseases, only suppress development for short periods of time. Take my vine crops. Very susceptible to diseases so I need to spray a fungicide and rotate what I use every 10 days, sometimes weekly if weather is bad. And even then we don't keep them disease free. Breeding for diseases is still the best way to combat them - by far. Look at the past two years for NCLB on field corn. Some hybrids absolutely blasted by this disease and many hardly showed any signs of infection.
JDPlowboy
Posted 1/30/2016 18:31 (#5075456 - in reply to #5074813)

sw MN
The heftys claim a 4 bpa gain only in cold soils during early planting. They said u of nd saw the same results.

In warmer soils they saw no response.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)