AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Free Range"
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Mark in WCIowa
Posted 1/26/2016 08:00 (#5064752 - in reply to #5063784)
Subject: RE: "Free Range"

Scranton
All I did was ask where I did that...once I figured out what you were talking about, I addressed it.

You really have some issues. You should see someone about that...I hear they have some great meds available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in WCIowa
Posted 1/26/2016 08:05 (#5064766 - in reply to #5063777)

Scranton
You are oblivious to reality...its NOT what I think...its what the consumer thinks...and ridiculing the consumer because they will not blindly buy whatever you decide to provide them and "they'll damb well like it!!!" is not going to get and keep customers...Not at premium prices anyway.

If you want to continue to produce corn at below production costs, more power to you. Me? I'm going to work a little harder and smarter and deliver a product that a few people are willing to spend more $$ on to have it produced in a way that is appealing to them. This 25 year old market is NOT a fad and will continue no matter how much you piss and moan that its not fair.
Mark in WCIowa
Posted 1/26/2016 08:07 (#5064774 - in reply to #5057932)
Subject: RE: "Cage Free"

Scranton
Great post!

The thing some farmers struggle with (understandably with the level of independence we operate at in ag) is that no matter what we think, or how much easier a certain way of doing things is, the consumer is always right,...IF...we want their money.
Big Ben
Posted 1/26/2016 08:51 (#5064919 - in reply to #5064766)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Mark in WCIowa - 1/26/2016 06:05

You are oblivious to reality...its NOT what I think...its what the consumer thinks...and ridiculing the consumer because they will not blindly buy whatever you decide to provide them and "they'll damb well like it!!!" is not going to get and keep customers...Not at premium prices anyway.

If you want to continue to produce corn at below production costs, more power to you. Me? I'm going to work a little harder and smarter and deliver a product that a few people are willing to spend more $$ on to have it produced in a way that is appealing to them. This 25 year old market is NOT a fad and will continue no matter how much you piss and moan that its not fair.

Who ever said I was selling corn with no premium and below my production cost? You make a lot of unfounded assumptions for a guy that calls others oblivious.

What the consumer thinks absolutely matters. That's why the organic industry should stop lying to them to take their money. I'm not the only one that thinks this way, and you know it.

This article popped up in my Facebook newsfeed last night, a friend liked it. It gets to the bottom of the root of the fear that causes folks like yourself to so vocally defend organics:

http://www.newsweek.com/dirty-truth-about-organic-produce-379464

Big Ben
Posted 1/26/2016 08:53 (#5064928 - in reply to #5064752)

Classic response. When losing an Internet argument, resort to personal attacks.

Edited by Big Ben 1/26/2016 08:54
Mark in WCIowa
Posted 1/26/2016 09:24 (#5065004 - in reply to #5064919)

Scranton
"Who ever said I was selling corn with no premium and below my production cost? You make a lot of unfounded assumptions for a guy that calls others oblivious. "

I can only go off what you write on here...so what premium product are you supplying?

" What the consumer thinks absolutely matters. That's why the organic industry should stop lying to them to take their money. I'm not the only one that thinks this way, and you know it. "

What lies? Please be specific...this is a consumer driven market...lets talk about the lies from the conventional food markets...the one that is scared of identifying where our meat comes from...the one that allowed Monsanto to sue and not allow those milk products that did NOT contain Monsanto's growth hormone to advertise as such...the ones who claimed this and that chemical were perfectly safe up until (and after ) the time when it was discovered they were carcinogens(see 2,4d, atrazine, as well as a myriad of chems from the 60s and 70s that were downright dangerous)...

" This article popped up in my Facebook newsfeed last night, a friend liked it. It gets to the bottom of the root of the fear that causes folks like yourself to so vocally defend organics:

http://www.newsweek.com/dirty-truth-about-organic-produce-379464 "

You realize this is an OPINION piece, written by a right wing think tank...right? No bias there...nope.

Here's the lie that stood out to me...

"Developments such as these, along with the use of highly effective, low toxicity pesticides, are the reasons why upwards of 90 percent of corn, cotton, soybeans and sugar beets, most papayas (77 percent), and much of the alfalfa (30 percent) in the United States are genetically engineered varieties. And it's why genetically engineered crops were grown in 2013 by 18 million farmers in 27 countries, and why there is an extremely high "repeat index," the percentage of farmers who are repeat customers for genetically engineered seeds.

Farmers are not stupid; if organic agriculture were easier or more reliable or improved their bottom line, they’d be flocking to it. They’re not."

We use the GMOs because they are EASIER as well as add bushels...I'm not sure how much profit they add, as everyone nowadays is running in the red at $3.50 corn when a decade ago $3 corn was our dream.(I still farm half my ground conventional, including using GMOS when I deem them appropriate and worth the investment). GMOs have allowed further and fast integration of the market than anything....it allows the guys to bid up ground and farm half the county because they KNOW they will get the weeds cleaned up and the bugs under control with much, much less effort.

NO organic farmer worth his salt has EVER called organic farming EASIER...that's pure stupidity to even include that in the OP/ED piece...But I guarantee...GUARANTEE my corn acres are more profitable than 99% of the conventional acres....last year I averaged around 170 bpa and sold it for $12.50 average...Year before 140 bpa times $13....year before was a tough one....115 bpa times $12...drought year of 2012...my conventional was under 100 bpa...organic was planted later and was close to 130 bpa.

I'm not trying to disparage chemical grain farming...life has gotten so much easier to farm in the past couple decades, how can I blame anyone including myself for taking advantage of these improvements...they give me more time to attend to my profit center, as well as allow me to safely diversify risk. But guys like you, who, apparently out of jealousy, feel the need to disparage what I do, force my hand in defense.

No part of ag is perfect. Cramming animals in small cages (remember how this thread started?) is not humane IMHO, but I understand it has some benefits...most of them to the bottom line of farmers and consumers....and this is what organic people have to compete with....an industry that allows the bottom line to define their morals sometimes...While I usually don't agree with the left politically or agri-morally, they do make a good point sometimes and having them forces us to look in the mirror once in a while...which is never a bad thing.

Big Ben
Posted 1/26/2016 15:08 (#5065696 - in reply to #5065004)

I don't owe you full disclosure of our marketing methods and the premiums we get, but I will tell you that our major crop is grain corn and we have not sold any through traditional marketing channels in over 10 years.

"Sustainable" is my all time favorite organic lie.

You call my article from a mainstream media publication biased, after some of the sources you cited above? That is simply laughable.

I did not force your hand in defense of anything. You came into this thread after I did, and your first reply was far more offensive than defensive.

"... this is what organic people have to compete with....an industry that allows the bottom line to define their morals sometimes..."

The irony here is almost painful, so soon after you "GUARANTEE" your organic acres are more profitable, and then side with the left while saying you disagree with them.

Mark in WCIowa
Posted 1/26/2016 19:50 (#5066319 - in reply to #5065696)

Scranton
Big Ben - 1/26/2016 15:08

"I don't owe you full disclosure of our marketing methods and the premiums we get, but I will tell you that our major crop is grain corn and we have not sold any through traditional marketing channels in over 10 years. "

Oh dear loard...you are quite a piece of work...Here's a hint...I live 2000 miles away...I'm not going to steal your "marketing Methods" LOL...My guess is you are afraid to share them as they might get picked apart as hypocrisy...Whatever I guess..

""Sustainable" is my all time favorite organic lie. "

Your opinion...that a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

"You call my article from a mainstream media publication biased, after some of the sources you cited above? That is simply laughable. "

Your article was a REPRINT of an OP/ED from a right wing think tank. Everyone has their own bias....never claimed mine weren't biased...I claimed mine were what our customers were thinking, which really seems to bother you.

"I did not force your hand in defense of anything. You came into this thread after I did, and your first reply was far more offensive than defensive."

I would say my first post was aptly descriptive...you have a burr up your @$$ about organic, and it seems to agitate you.

""... this is what organic people have to compete with....an industry that allows the bottom line to define their morals sometimes..."

The irony here is almost painful, so soon after you "GUARANTEE" your organic acres are more profitable, and then side with the left while saying you disagree with them. "

Two entirely different points that you dishonestly cut and pasted together there...Like I said before...perhaps you should seek help...you shouldn't go through life so worried about what others are doing that it leaves you so agitated.

Big Ben
Posted 1/26/2016 23:14 (#5066901 - in reply to #5066319)

I don't need to tell you about what we do because I'm tiring of this conversation, and I don't need to offer you any more distractions.

Just because something is my opinion doesn't mean it isn't true, and I don't drink coffee.

We are both biased, without a doubt. I'm at least consistent with what I say and do.

I didn't cut and paste anything together, its just a quote of what you wrote. I can see how having your own words backfire on you put the word "agitated" into your mind.

frytownfarmer
Posted 1/27/2016 16:07 (#5068114 - in reply to #5057349)
Subject: RE: "Free Range" SAT

Frytown, Iowa
Sat I'd like to apologize for accusing you of wanting to see neighbors have financial problems. Sometimes your posts are a little hard to read and I had thought those stories were current stories told as gossip and didn't take the time to discern that it was an old story told as a warning. I'll either double read your posts before commenting or keep thoughts to myself. I'll say by putting my foot in my mouth and reading your responses here has changed an unmerited preconceived idea of who I thought you were.

I'd delete it but words I said will have to stay as in life. I'll just apologize instead!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)