AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The End of Saudi Arabia?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

CMN
Posted 1/21/2016 08:39 (#5052511 - in reply to #5052136)
Subject: RE: The End of Saudi Arabia?

West of Mpls MN about 50 miles on Hwy 12
Did you say this? "They are getting old and there hasn't been a new nuclear reactor lic issued since 1996. None will be anytime soon especially after the disaster in Japan at fuku shimu." That's what I was calling BS on.

The waste storage pad in Monticello, MN is the size of a one car garage. All though they weigh a lot, rod and bundle size dimensions are not that large.

Here's a link if you don't believe me about new license issues. http://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/New-Nuclear-Energy-Facilities/New-...

From the link...To date, the NRC has issued several design certifications and early site permits. In 2012, the agency issued licenses to build four reactors now under construction in Georgia and South Carolina. Additional applications are under review. In 2015, the agency issued a license to DTE Energy for Fermi 3 in Michigan.

A fifth new reactor under construction in Tennessee is being completed under the NRC’s original licensing process.

New license are being issued.

As far as safety, another quote from the article...Combined Construction and Operating License

The licensing process for new nuclear power plants provides for issuance of a combined construction permit and operating license (COL). Granting a COL signifies resolution of all safety issues associated with the plant.

I guess I'll just have to trust the people who are way smarter than me on safety. They trust me not to poison their drinking water with all the chemicals I use every year. Yes, accidents can and will happen.

All I know is that between the nuke plant, and the coal fired plant operating about 35 miles from my backyard, and looking from the seed, and sweet corn fields surrounding these plants while I was harvesting them. The nuke plant has had way less of a negative environmental impact on the immediate area, and surrounding areas than the coal plant. As you say, maybe that will change.

Now, what to do with that "temporary" mountain of ash and pond water that's full of heavy metals is the question. I know, haul it by train back out to the big hole they've dug the coal ofout in ND, let them deal with it.

Edited by CMN 1/21/2016 08:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)