AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

are you thinking about going to long term no-till?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 8/30/2015 14:08 (#4761090 - in reply to #4760873)
Subject: RE: are you thinking about going to long term no-till?

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
One needs to remember the difference between a mollic soils in a ustic regime compare to a inceptisol or ultisol in a udic moisture regime ,, that's not even factoring the temperature. I'm 100 percent continuous notill (most stuff hasnt seen tillage in well or 50 year , some 100) I do not have the ability to use tillage on 99 percent of my acres and I really wish I could , I do not see the structure benefits in low base saturation soils with heavy rainfall water saturation certain parts of the year ,, if the ground has tilth it will continue to have tilth , however if the soil is consolidated or collapsed it will be in 20 years without some sort of mechanical help , kind of the opposite of ustic mollisols that mello over time.
I loved articles like this 10 years ago , but about 5 years ago I realized that most of the time the main authors have forgotten to try their hand at production farming , and after reading the entire article Im saddened to say there isn't anything in it that I haven't heard at least 100 times . I will admit that i do not have any soils with bad permeability or machinery holding characteristics , even the soils that will greatly limit rooting still have good surface permeability because of lack of capillary collapse

Edited by mcupps 8/30/2015 14:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)