AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me how many bushels my corn will make...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Case IH farmer
Posted 8/2/2015 11:56 (#4712276 - in reply to #4712069)
Subject: RE: Tell me how many bushels my corn will make...

IL
Curt Keiser - 8/2/2015 06:23

Case IH farmer - 8/1/2015 22:33

Lowyielder - 8/1/2015 19:09

I've had 16x36-40 at 32K lmake 250-275 bpa. I don't even bother with the calculators anymore.

Exactly right. Only accurate way to tell is wait until black layer and shell ears, test moisture and weigh it. I did this last year and it was very accurate.

I have appraised corn for 10 years and now I always recommend to wait until black layer,then shell and weigh. It will then be right on depending on if you do adequate samples. It is funny how many times I am told by farmer it was x number bushels (always better) based on what local seed dealer found. I will ask how many samples did he do and did he do moisture test and weigh?

People who like to do kernel counts should do some kernel counts and then do the shell and weigh method after that and see how far off it is. Last year we had some Dekalb next to pioneer and the pioneer had very impressive kernel counts and the DKCs were very underwhelming. Dekalb had huge kernels though and yield checked better with the weigh method and then again when the combine rolled.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)