AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Want to learn corn/bean plants inside and out.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 8/2/2015 07:46 (#4711884 - in reply to #4711760)
Subject: RE: Want to learn corn/bean plants inside and out.

SEON
iseedit - 8/2/2015 05:36

It all starts with the soils . . . . get to understand soil biology and such and your will better understand plant biology and their relationship. . . .  . .. . . ..

I agree.

I spent 3 yrs chasing pockets of stunted alfalfa on a new farm. Soil tests, tissue tests revealed different results. Extension office tested plants and said it was fusarium root rot and recommended plowing it down, rotating out and planting a race resistant variety. My test plots later showed all it needed was Kmag.

After growing up on the farm, I went to engineering school and spent 25 yrs in the fabrication and design. In that business, you build a prototype then you test it to see how your idea worked. You can a have a design in a few days or weeks. Biggest challenge for me when coming back to agriculture is that it takes a growing season.....a whole year....to test an idea. I have learned to ask alot of questions and do many test plots in a single year and keep good records because life is to short to be perfect in this business.

The moral of the story is this: yes, by all means read, read, read but then you have to test, test, test.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)