AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about liberty beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johnf
Posted 8/1/2015 23:42 (#4711702 - in reply to #4711176)
Subject: RE: Teach me about liberty beans

Liberty soybeans for last 3 years. I used to spray 32 oz Liberty with 17.5 lbs AMS but cut it back to 29 oz Liberty and 8.75 lbs AMS to lessen the coppery burn/stunting that it seemed to put on the beans for a few days after application.
I have learned/noted several things...
1. Do not use less than 15 GPA....might work sometimes, but it'll make you pay eventually
2. Twin flat fans seem to give excellent coverage, and consistent coverage IS A MUST with contact herbicides. Note that at PSI above 30...which I recommend, you will have to fight drift on breezy days, so if I have to spray in wind, I use Powerlock/ Interlock...seems to work excellent but costs a little more per acre.
3. Simply put, Liberty sucks in grass. It will burn the heck out of it, it will look dead, you will smile with satisfaction....1-2 weeks later, it will be green and beautiful again. I have found this only is a good thing if you accidentally left your boom switch on and sprayed your landlord's ditch or lawn. This leads to #4...
4. Throw in 6-8 oz generic Clethodim even if you didn't run a John Deere combine/re-seeder to harvest last year's corn...there is most likely grass out there and it will often show its head above the canopy in August. Clethodim is too cheap not to use when already paying $15-$20 an acre for your post application.
5. Liberty has a rainfast of 4 hours. I have tested it accidentally and failed. Do not spray when there is still dew on...those giant ragweeds will love you for it if you do. They'll go all Chumbawamba on you...google if you need to:)
-Don't spray on cloudy days if you don't have to
-Force yourself to quit spraying by 7:30pm. This is what happens when I told myself that I had time to spray one more tank before dark: 20 second clip...if you do have time to watch it, notice how the difference is so apparent that the previous spray load looks like a different field.
https://youtu.be/KqSzGFuikUs

6. Don't try to get away with not using a pre...we fell behind the planter this year and good growing conditions brought the soybeans up in 3 days, before we could get the Matador sprayed over the top of the planted fields. I will never do that again. We tried to get away with one post application this year on those acres, and with no pre down we probably should have used 2 applications with 22 oz Liberty each time. On a side note, we were so wet here in Ohio that we may not have gotten back in for that 2nd application anyway. ...the jist of it is we have some escapes this year in some fields. Almost everyone does in our area this year. Too much rain.
7. This goes without saying but If planting RR soybeans AND Liberty soybeans, keep fields segregated and keep good records. Dead beans in July look out of place.
8. Hmmm, I'm sure I'll think of more.
9. I thought of more. Last year I resprayed a 10 acre spot of super thick giant ragweed that didn't completely die from the 1st Liberty application about 20-25 days after the 1st application. ...so way after flowering, with good results and no noticeable yield drop on the integra yield monitor at harvest. I originally assumed there would be a yield hit, but I was too hell-bent on keeping these "resistant to everything" (everything but dicamba & glufosinate) giant ragweed from going to seed so I didn't care...had I not sprayed, much of those 10 acres wouldn't have been worth harvesting anyway. So that was somewhat reassuring.

Edited by johnf 8/1/2015 23:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)