AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop on PP ground going to wheat this fall
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Orfarmer
Posted 7/8/2015 10:14 (#4667718 - in reply to #4667445)
Subject: RE: Cover crop on PP ground going to wheat this fall

Roanoke, IN
WlntCrkJ - 7/8/2015 08:47

If one is looking to improve soil health and reduce future inputs you have to put some $$ in the soil bank

I agree with that 100%. I grow a cc on every acre every year. But we have to be smart investors. Maybe you have, but I haven't perfected growing money trees.

No different than adding lime, gypsum or litter.

Totally different. If you wing lime, litter, or gypsum out there, it will do its thing. Benefits of cc come from the growth, not the application of seed!

It is worth looking at to see where the initial cost per acre can be taken out in future expenses / gained in reduced costs the following year.

I agree with this 100%. But we are only talking about 60 days in this situation. I would and have spent $40-$50/ acre if you chase the combine after wheat and get growth over the summer, fall, and following spring. Much more opportunities to get ROI than a short 60 day window. And what about weather risk in a 2 month window vs 10 month window?

Not easy to do over a forum, best if there is a one on one conversation to really look at goals and budgets.

You mean arm twisting, sales pitches, and seeing what the gov pays? I have saw more than one guy get turned off to cc by overspending and getting no results. When the gov money runs out guys quit. PP is a perfect situation to open guys eyes up to cc when they normally wouldn't think about it. But over promising and under delivering is a good way to turn them off to the idea permanently.

You do a lot of good work. I don't want to come across as criticizing what you are doing. I just thing this is a poor recommendation for this situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)