AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn notilled into vetch update (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

matt beachy
Posted 6/27/2015 07:46 (#4648583 - in reply to #4647564)
Subject: RE: corn notilled into vetch update (pics)

Delaware
I'll try to answer all the questions in one post here.

The hairy vetch was planted in mid September at 8# per acre, along with 25# of spring oats and 2 1/2# of tillage radish. The corn was planted May 9. I planted one field of vetch before starting any other corn, just to make sure it would work alright, then the rest a week later after the rest of the corn was finished. I wanted to let it grow as long as possible. The vetch was pulling out enough moisture that it was dry enough to plant before anything else.

Put down about 7# of N in the starter and popup, then broadcast 200# of ammonium sulfate after planting. Came back and sidedressed with 15 gal of 32%. So it has about 100 units of N. Time will tell if that was the right decision. Yield goal is 160 bu. Did test strips of 50, 100, and 200# of N applied so I can compare at harvest. If we keep getting soaked here like we have been, I'll wish I would have shot for a little higher yield. But there's still plenty of time to have a drought here, we often get at least some dry or heat stress.

No roller on the planter, just row cleaners and coulters. Knocked most of it down and probably killed about half of it. Sprayed a few days after planting with 22oz Roundup, 2oz Sharpen, and a pint of generic Dual. I knew 2,4d was the best way to kill vetch, but someone recommended not to use it before emergence because it could make the vetch roll over the row and cause the corn to have trouble coming through. So I decided to save it for the post. Came back with roundup and 8 oz of 2,4d and and that cleaned up the vetch that had come back. I wouldn't be afraid of 2,4d in the burndown after seeing how it worked this year.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)