AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Answer me this. Nitrate test from tile water.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rosefarm
Posted 6/20/2015 22:42 (#4637915)
Subject: Answer me this. Nitrate test from tile water.

EC Il
After all the debate about hypoxia in the gulf and runoff into lakes, I wondered just what levels of nitrate I was contributing via tile drainage. I purchased a package of test strips to test nitrate and nitrite levels in my tiled water.

I have three pattern tiled fields that share no mains with other fields, two corn fields and one soybean. The corn fields have a total of 252 actual pounds of N applied in four different forms and dates. Soybean field is standard no till with a VT tool run over it in the fall.

All three fields tested identical levels of nitrate (100ppm) and nitrite (0) in the samples caught at the main outlet today. I would very much appreciate folks thoughtful comments on what is going on? Do we have that much nitrogen available to soybean fields left over from the previous corn crop? Is my corn field nitrogen "staying put" reflective of the identical levels in corn and beans? Lots of questions.......no concrete answers. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts and comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)