AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

88 percent of Scientists say GMO food is safe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

durallymax
Posted 1/30/2015 10:36 (#4349598 - in reply to #4348816)
Subject: RE: 88 percent of Scientists say GMO food is safe

Wi

DevinF - 1/30/2015 00:26 Yes, the global warming crowd loves to throw out the "concensus is" argument. I bet when it comes to gmo they would tell you it's a big conspiracy and it's all about money. Go figure.

It is, I swear for every 9 of 10 people I talk to that thinks GMO's are bad, also talks about Monsanto. Google GMO's and you will see anti-GMO talking about Monsanto all day long. They seem to forget how many other companies are involved in GMO's and that Monsanto certainly did not invent all of theirs either.  

I like debating people on rbST sometimes.  Ask them if they know anyone with diabetes using insulin, most people do.  Ask them who is behind rbST and more than half will say Monsanto, the rest just wont know. Then you can explain that Monsanto licensed the product from the original inventor that patented it in the 70s IIRC.  Its the same company that patented the process for making Insulin. They patented rbST production maybe a year later, it uses basically the same exact process as they use to produce Insulin.  So the product we inject into our bodies is good, but the product that we inject into cows that then produce milk we consume is going to kill us. Nevermind that important little part of the name "BOVINE" and the fact our bodies cannot process it as a hormone. Nevermind the fact that bST is present in all milk and levels vary regardless of if the cows were given rbST or not (that is why they cannot test for it). 

Then there is the cancer "connection".  The claim that rbST raises IGF-1 levels present in the milk and thus raises IGF-1 levels in your body thus accelerating tumor growth.  This is all based on basically one study many years ago that suggested a connection between increased IGF-1 levels and tumor growth. It did not necessarily show that cancer started due to higher levels just that people with higher levels grew tumors faster. Since that study there has been an extensive amount of research showing there is not enough evidence to show a connection and too many other variables come into play. In addition to that, the research into IGF-1 levels in milk has shown that while there is a slight rise in rbST milk, the amount of actual IGF-1 present in a serving is less than 1% of what your body naturally produces in a day anyways.  Then there is the fact that IGF-1 cannot survive in the digestive system and over 90% of it is destroyed before it could ever be absorbed.  Still though, for whatever reason, people who drink milk have shown higher levels of IGF-1 but at the same time also showed higher levels of certain proteins that bind with it thus causing overall IGF-1 activity to generally remain the same.  Soymilk also showed an increase in IGF-1 and it has no IGF-1 present in it.   IGF-1 is not evil, doctors give it to people with growth issues all the time. Maybe its the reason milk drinkers grow bigger lol. 

They say it increases "pus" in milk.  I don't know what this pus is and when you ask them many do not know. The sites i've read suggest its the dead white blood cells in milk, otherwise known as the Somatic Cell Count. They flame the US for its 750,000 limit although most places wont take anything over 400,000 anyways especially since the global market requires it be lower than that. By comparison, human breast milk has an SCC of 1-2.5 million. Some say the "pus" is the stringy stuff from mastitis which as any farmer knows does not go in the tank. Even if it did slip by the filter catches it and anything that would get by there gets caught in the various other steps at the plant. There is truely a risk for higher rates of mastitis with rbST without proper management though.  People seem to think you just shoot it in the show and they magically make milk, not that simple.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)