AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine static discharge . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Glenn W.
Posted 8/18/2006 03:05 (#36793 - in reply to #36494)
Subject: RE: So are plastic panels a fire hazard on new combines?

I didn't say panels are a fire hazard but the moving plastic can build up static electricity and the grounding would help get rid of the built up charge according to the engineer.

Jon, most fires are going to go the way the air is blowing be it trash or dust. There was no trash to speak of in the engine compartment but there was a lot of dust stuck to the sides of metal, filters, and such like wet snow sticking to trees when it comes down with the wind blowing. It was only 10 hours old so surfaces were still rough and not shined up so things would stick better. Do you never get zapped when reaching out to touch a hand rail?

Did the 2388 you look at not have any plastic on any fan or no plastic cones on the shafts above the straw spreaders? I'm no 2388 expert and didn't look at the one very long after the fire. I heard the report from the dealer a couple days after the fire so I haven't looked at it since they brought up the static electricity theory.

I read Ed's post about static electricity and his comment that "some also believe that static discharge sparks could be a cause of fires on the combine" so I told my experience. This is in the Pacific Northwest with high temperatures and low humidity and a lot of dust in the wheat this year. There are engineers working for the manufacturers who are studying the issue even if you give it a full BS.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)