AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9760STS Engine Miss (Intermittent)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fla Veggie Farmer
Posted 8/16/2006 15:05 (#36305 - in reply to #36222)
Subject: Re: 9760STS Engine Miss (Intermittent)

Southeast Florida
I don't know what engine a 9760 has and I've never seen on either but I have seen a lot of Deere's and Deere engines in different apps. Skinhead hit it on the nose as to what I think the problem is. We've found several engines that had broken or loose wires on them 12.5 and 8.1. The nice thing about the management system is it doesn't recognize it's got a dead cylinder but it senses a drop in power so it fuels up the other 5 and this is when the disaster happens, usually a broken valve on the dead cylinder. See we get all of these nice things to happen to us with our wonderful help. See if the machine still moves and the A/C is still blowing cold there’s nothing wrong with it. I tell all of the field foremen that if you hear a Deere popping from the exhaust shut it down immediately and call me. It's a pretty simple fix then just remove the valve cover and feel the connections on the solenoids. The cane harvesters are horrible for this with all the vibration and from everything that goes on inside of them. Fatigue failure is common with them so you keep a soidering gun and some silver soder for the repair kit.
Now the fuel problem you guy's are discussing here with a common rail fuel system they just loose power from stopped up filters not like the old injection systems. Deere uses a 2 micron filter for the secondary on (The white element) that catches everything. We installed a filtering system on our supply tanks. I started off buying 3, 1 1/2, 16 thread filter bases at NAPA. Can't remember the number but they're hydraulic filter bases, then taking close nipples and putting them in line starting with a 10 micron glass media filter, then a 5 micron glass media and finally a 3 micron. They offer the 10 and 5 in different lengths and I used the longest ones the 3 micron comes in 1 size only, it the same as the size as the old JD 4840's used for engine oil. I remember the number it 7200 NAPA and the list price is $206.00 the higher micron rating are cheaper and the catch most of the junk there for it cheaper to throw them away. This solved the fuel filter problem we was having because after Katrina I went through $3000 worth of fuel filters in one month for 2)9320, 2)9420 and a 9400 pulling scrapers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)