AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost projections....for the folks that don't do them.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 1/3/2013 14:51 (#2796122 - in reply to #2796044)
Subject: Re: Cost projections....for the folks that don't do them.

southern MN
I've seen people that run numbers, calculate, and plan, plan, plan. Fuill entire binders with notes. Look at every detail.

But can actually _do_ anything in the real world. And others like that that are very successful, their planning and detail serves them very well.

I see people who don't take notes ever, don't appear to ever plan a thing, don't know what a notebook or checkbook ledger is for, can't tell you what they plan to do 2 years from now.

Some of them are horrible business people, don't last the 2 years. Others are actually thinking about what they are doing every moment, have a lot of pigion-hole space in their heads to keep track of details no one lese will see, and have a better handle on things than 99% of the notebook planners.

I understand your question, but I don't think we can pin it down to whether a person looks like they are paying attention to detail and planning, or whether they are actually doing so.

I'm not sure if I'm successful or not by other people's standards, but I'm happy. I do have a plan for my future, tho I can't really explain it to you and it certainly isn't written down. My accounting involves sorting out the shoebox of reciepts 3 days before my tax appointment.

I spend most of my tractor driving or cross country driving day-dreaming about where I am at, what I want to improve, how my numbers look. My brain can't put those down on paper in a neat orderly thing that would make _any_ sense to you, but - I have all those things up in my head, and I probably spend as much or more time spinning those around as you do.

If you ask me for a projection for 2 years from now, I can not produce one. But I have one, up there, in the grey matter, might be more detailed than yours. Difference is you can place yours on the desk, in hard form.

I think the difference you are getting at is not _if_ people do the planning, prep, thinking, and hard mental work of running a business over the long haul.

It is more _how_ they do that work. More than one way to skin a 'cat. I've tried taking notes writting them down, and those are the _worst_ learning experiences I've ever had, don't learn nothing. If I can sit back and watch and listen, I'll be able to tell you the points of the meeting a year later..... Others need to fill a notebook, as they write the info down, it becomes real for them. Take that pen and notebook away, and they can't learn.....

Just different ways of planning, not lack of planning?

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)