AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is wrong with wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Digger
Posted 12/22/2007 16:20 (#266234 - in reply to #266218)
Subject: RE: Here is What's wrong with wheat in ND

North Dakota
Steve, I dont think 50 to 70 bushel is easy for us. I would say 40 is much more common with some 50s and 60s considered a blessing. I practiced the opti crop methods on a portion of my acres for 2 years. The first year we had good rain fall and things worked out pretty well. The second year we were dry and the only benefit I seen were higher protein #s. I think mother nature plays the biggest role in our wheat yields up here. The best yields I ever seen were in 04 (no intensive wheat that year) very cool temps and the use of fungicides.

As far as wheat for next year I have some neighbors who have pushed their rotations pretty hard with oil crops and would like to increase wheat. I think if new crop price is good in April and May we will see more acres. Did you get you winter wheat off to a good start this fall? Not a lot of acres went in up here, and what did went into dry conditions with poor stands resulting. I have a feeling some of these acres will be burned down and reseeded to something else (but I hope not). I know some of mine never germinated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)