AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

87' 379 Pete, whats it worth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 11/19/2007 04:17 (#240881 - in reply to #240800)
Subject: RE: 87' 379 Pete, whats it worth?

Kansas
I'm pretty sure if it's an 87 model then it is a 359.

379's were not introduced until 1989. 88 was the last year of the 359.

Sleeper?
Sliding 5th?
Exhaust brake?
Exhaust system?
Old style breathers or S.S. new style?
Cracked Hood?
Standard front bumper or drop bumper?

For the most part sounds like a sound truck drive train wise. Remember your still dealing with 20 year old air lines and valves that will sometimes become as much of a pain deciphering the source of trouble as an electrical gremlin.

Also check the lower plate under the air bags for excessive wear if that air bag plate has eaten into the metal. I can't remember offhand but I think they were aluminum.

Dual 100 or 150 gallon fuel tanks?
Tank Heaters?
Horton Fan clutch? Look it over good make sure it isn't shot. High dollar item to replace if memory serves me correctly.

Grab the steering shaft and wiggle it back and forth to check for excessive slop in the slip shaft. Want to make sure he greased it religiously.

Have access to a jack handy? Jack up the front axle and grab that front tire and put all your weight against the top of it and see if you can find slop in the kingpins.

If she all checks out good. Has good paint and runs well. Doesn't need anything more than a good blue beacon bath. I'd say Chets price is a good ballpark to work from.

If you have time, and you really want to nitpick, grab your grease gun and grease the chassis. Anything that refuses to take grease is soon to need work. Be it a spring hanger or u-joint. That will tell you alot right there and if most the joints dont take grease you know to walk away. If they all do she's ready for your first run.

About all I can think of for now at this late hour.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)