AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ethics question - regarding tethering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 9/4/2011 11:09 (#1945626 - in reply to #1945503)
Subject: Re: Ethics question - regarding tethering

bwire - Are you playing dead or becoming obtuse?

Well I'm trying my best to keep conversations and debates above the belt and civil, but since you seem insistant on dragging it into the gutter, I'm finding it increasingly difficult.

bwire - Help me understand how it is the updated infrastucture of wireless bandwidth we produce is available off-shore but we don't have it here.

Let me first start off with saying that I am far from an expert on this, so this is the way I see it that makes the most sense to me. We have existing infrastructure. We have "old" cell towers that were built before smartphones even existed. They have been updated incrementally over the years as tech and demand has changed. Carriers have considerable investment in this existing infrastructure that they need to see a return on. IMO, we will see the same improvements in time. This is no different than you and I buying a new computer. We both know that it is more than likely going to be obsolted by newer, faster, more powerful systems within 6 months to a year. We do NOT go out an buy new computers every 6 months due to the huge investment. In my opinion, the U.S. wireless industry is "running a 1 yr old computer that has had its RAM and hard drive upgraded" while Asia has just bought the latest gaming system. It is understandable to be upset about this - we pay our cellular bills every month, many of us have for years now - and all we see is Asians with a better system than we have. But put yourself in the carrier's shoes - they are doing nothing different than you or I do right at home. Don't throw the "but look at their profits" argument at me either. Companies are required by their stockholders (you and I) to show profits and growth every year or they eventually cease to exists. If ATT, Verizon, and the others constantly took all their profit and invested all of it into updating their networks, share holders would dump them like a hot potato. Share holders have the least common sense of anyone on the planet IMO - greed forces them to think in mysterious ways. 

bwire - The tech you think of as future is on the shelf and no intention is there to impliment it here in the next 10-15 years; WHY NOT??

What makes you think there is no intention of ever implementing it? This may be the case, I don't know - but if it is, I suspect it may be because they know there is something even BETTER coming down the pike and since they will be making massive investments in upgrading, might as well use that instead. Conspiracy theories are fascinating material, but usually just figments of someone's imagination. Back when I farmed full time and was more isolated from the world, I may have bought into some of them - but getting into the corporate world and seeing first hand the massive stupidity of people in large groups, I find it extremely unplausible that a conspiracy to screw over an entire nation can possibly exist. In fact, I find it absolutely incredible that this stupidity has not resulted in the human race destroying itself by now considering the weapons we have at our disposal and proof enough to me that God is not taking a "hands off" approach to our survival.  :)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)