AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much tractor do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GinNB
Posted 6/12/2011 19:54 (#1815867 - in reply to #1815519)
Subject: Re: How much tractor do I need?

If I were you I'd wait and look for a deal on something older, larger (than a garden tractor anyway), and well maintained.  MFWD would be very nice for a tractor that'd be used in the woods but not necessary on 25a of farm unless you really want to be an early bird getting on your ground and it's poorly drained.  Small is good for orchards, so maybe an open station to keep the height down.  A cab is nice when running a mist blower though.  A small 50g pickup bed mounted mist blower would allow you to use an open station tractor for everything but the mist blowing.  Mounted on a pallet would make it easy to load/unload with your tractor.  50-70 hp is tons of tractor for what you want, plus you can find older ones cheaper than the smaller estate/garden tractors that are in high demand from homeowners.  I think you could probably get by with a garden tractor (if you consider a 25hp mfwd a "garden" tractor), but you can get more done faster with a larger tractor.  You've got another job, so you'd appreciate the time savings I'm sure.  Time is money if you're working all the time, otherwise it's just a hobby.  Hobbies cost money, not make it.  As far as not doing your own spraying goes, why not?  It's arguably the best money-generating time you can spend on your farm with a tractor if you know what you're spraying for, what to spray on it, and can do it when it needs to be done.  You can easily spray 25a in three fields in a single Saturday with even a trailered ATV sprayer if you've got a good water supply for the three fields.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)