AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much tractor do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

3w farms
Posted 6/12/2011 11:48 (#1815175 - in reply to #1814452)
Subject: RE: How much tractor do I need?

S.E. Iowa
Theres a ton on tractors that will do the job, but implements for smaller size tractors (40-60hp )have been junked or decent shaped ones are commanding premiums. A 100 horse range tractor is probably over kill, but equipment for them is still available and reasonably priced especially at farm sales. 4 bottom plows 4-6 row cultivator 16ft disc, older small cyclo planters, 10-12 ft older grain drills are all too big for acrage people with gardens and way too small for bigger farmers so your only competition is out bidding the scrapers. A 100 hp range tractor gives you a big enough power base to use this size equipment and yet allows you to grow without having to scrap everything and start over. This Ill say about old small equipment having started in 1975 with the 160 acres the first ground I bought, farmed it for 10 years using a 460 farmall and no other tractor, it can be done, but it makes you old tired and frustrated. When you put 10-14 hours aday in on an old open tractor you dont really look forward to getting up the next day and starting over. The 460 was replaced with a 986, decent cab air and heater, cant tell you how much my life and attitude changed by having a good cab and not breathing dust all day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)