AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windows 98 Computer---how to fix??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/9/2011 23:19 (#1811890 - in reply to #1811841)
Subject: Re: Windows 98 Computer---how to fix??

Not trying to be too critical, but it sounds like you have all of your eggs in one very old and unsupported basket. If I were in your shoes I would be quite intent on learning the new software and getting as much stuff transferred over as quickly as you can.

In regards to figuring out what is wrong with the old computer, I think you'll find that more information is necessary to diagnose the issue. Does absolutely nothing happen when you turn it on? Is there a click and whir but nothing on the screen? Does some error come up on the screen forcing you to try again?

If it is indeed your motherboard, you'll have to open your case up and blow the dirt off and see what it says on it. There should be some identifying information. You won't have to necessarily have the exact same motherboard, but you do need to have one that has the same chipset. It needs to use the same memory and have the same socket for your processor, etc. I would recommend a Google search for the identifying information so that you can learn more about the motherboard. Then you may be able to find a used one that would work on eBay or something like that.

Honestly, this project is not something I would be too excited about. I really think the best thing you can do is back up or print off your information, and then focus on transferring everything to your new software quickly. If the computer goes totally bad in that time frame, you'll still have your backup and printed stuff that you can use to either re-load it after you've paid someone to fix your old computer or the printed documentation to manually transfer things to the new computer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)