AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just what does +/- 6-8" accuracy mean?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/23/2007 22:01 (#124562 - in reply to #122493)
Subject: Re: Just what does +/- 6-8" accuracy mean?

Pittsburg, Kansas

The problem with WAAS is that the guess row will occasionally jump to 10" too narrow then a while later maybe 10" too wide. It is consistant through the field. Most operators can do better than this but what they cant do is keep the field perfectly straight from one end to the other like WAAS can - no dog legs, no having to straighten out rows that have a curve starting in them. I would agree with you that overall WAAS can do as good as many operators on average - it's just the guess row thing that makes it so agrivating.

Many different people have ask my opinion if WAAS would be ok to plant with. My pat answer is that most operators will not be happy with it. However there are some that it would be a big improvement. We use it all the time on double crop narrow row beans where the header doesnt match the planter and they are pretty much like drilled beans anyway. We run a 24 row 20" planter and set the width to 40 feet. I have no problems with a little variance in that situation. On corn we have still used markers most of the time but not against letting the auto steer and WAAS take over if the dust is blowing so bad can't see the mark or running at night or running long hours and tired. If WAAS acts up just have to start using the markers again. It's not perfect that's for sure but if I break a marker off I will keep planting instead of shutting down.

Will be using Outback Baseline on one planter this year so will see how that goes. 

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)