AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to raise good pork?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 3/16/2024 23:21 (#10667991 - in reply to #10667964)
Subject: RE: How to raise good pork?

I'll speak of butchering commercial hogs here.    The past few years, there has been a steady push from a few of the packing companies towards using Duroc boars for better meat quality.

Ours pigs are out of Landrace x Large White sows bred to Duroc boars.  They don't even start to look like finished hogs (fat) until they weigh close to 300 lbs.

If I'm taking a hog out of our finishers to the locker to be butchered for myself, I would prefer a barrow and the bigger/fatter the better, preferably 350 lbs+.      Barrows tend to be less stressy than their female counterparts and have more fat on them at any given weight.

I don't feed the one that goes in my freezer anything different than the ones that end up in the grocery store meat counter.   Corn, soy, ddgs & premix (amino acids, minerals & vitamins) ration.    Never limit feed a hog that you intend to butcher.    

As for eating dry/tough pork, not over cooking it goes a long ways.  145°F internal temp is done enough, past that you're overcooking it and drying it out needlessly.

Edited by Kooiker 3/16/2024 23:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)