AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 speed rearend quit working on 77 Chevy C60
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tj_farms
Posted 1/30/2010 19:10 (#1049648 - in reply to #1049567)
Subject: RE: 2 speed rearend quit working on 77 Chevy C60

Ohio
If you remove the two hoses on that rear end vacuum pot, one should have vacuum with engine running. Switch the gear shift switch and should change vacuum to the other hose. If it does your problem is in the axle mounted pot as above poster said. If not then the problem is in the vacuum switch, or rusted out air lines, collapsed rubber hose, etc. The two canisters on the firewall are just vents for the vacuum hoses, maybe a check valve inside to release vacuum when not in use.

The governor hose if disconnected, not plugged, governor will not limit RPM. Plugging that hose will only let the engine idle. unplug that small hose and if engine does not rev up then there is a problem inside the carburetor.

The little gear box in the speedometer cable is a 2 speed gearbox to change the speedometer at same time as rear end is shifted to keep speedometer accurate.

I didn't think 77 Chevy's had vacuum 2 speed shift, but your pictures are definitely vacuum 2 speed. Mine are electric shift 2 speeds. I did have vacuum on a 1964 Chevy C60.

Edited by tj_farms 1/30/2010 19:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)