AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One pass spring wheat planting attempt. (with pictures)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 4/23/2010 00:34 (#1171020)
Subject: One pass spring wheat planting attempt. (with pictures)

Hi all. Just got started planting spring wheat here in the Hillsboro oregon area. I sort of hacked together a tool in attempts to plant two crops and band the fertilizer for the main crop in one pass, with as minimal surface disturbance as I could manage.

Here is a previous thread with pictures of the tool going together.  Previous thread. 

Ok, so after looking at the second drill's hitch length, I determined it should be shortened. Instead of ruining the original, I made up a short little T hitch for it for field use only, and since I was making a new hitch, may as well use a ball instead of a pin.

I also did not like the flimsy way the hitch on the 1560 was flopping around, so I took my hitch off the 1590 and put it under the 1560's hitch and chained them together to make a sturdy, though busy and haywire looking, hitch.

Ok, time to see if the loading auger setup would work being now between two drills. I decided to use the loader tractor to run the auger too, so I did not have to make so many extention hoses. Seems to work well. Because the TN is open center, I cant shut the auger on and off like I could with the closed center JD circuit, but hey,....sometimes a compromise has to be made. Finally got the boss to get his hands dirty while I took a picture.

Off to the field. Made a couple passes and getting a bit more comfortable turning this........this.....rig. It really does trail faily decent. That shorter hitch on the 1590 made a world of difference.

Time to walk in for lunch so I can bring back some seed and fertilizer. Nice day for a walk anyway. Glad I could finally get to the field and start on some planting.

I had a problem with a clay particle substance in the sparge tube of the tank. It kept pluggin my filter for the first several passes. So, may as well take a pic or two while I'm stopped.

The approximate alignment of the front gang of wheat openers with the fert shanks.

An attempt at showing the paired row spacings tot he fert shank.

Trying to hold the camera while and take a picture while also failing the attempt to drive on the mark. Here's a couple action shots of the fert shanks and coulters. I also want to mention that these parts for the fert setup are completely a last minute attempt and all the parts are robbed from my COPES tool. They are not made for this machine and the coulters are not meant to be a cutting coulter, but I had to get this thing going and decided to give it a try. The mounting design for the coulters is not proper for cutting which is why the coulters are not centered on the mounting tube.

Another view.

A couple shots for comparison. This one is behind the drill with the crops planted and fertilized. The intercrop here is red clover. I did not get any pics of the clover drill in operation today, but will later.

A pic of the unplanted side. I had some trouble with a few wet spots in the field and would spin out with the drill tractor, so I took a light finish disk and scratched the surface so the breeze would dry it off a bit. Seemed to work so far.

And lastly,..........who needs paint when you have liquid fertilizer.Cry Hose popped a hole on the last pass for the evening as I had to get some nursery plants out before dark. I got it to the water hose and cleaned off within oh, about 20 minutes. This is what the bare iron looks like about 10 minutes after washing the fert off. I had no time to paint it, and really did'nt want to waste the time if I had it as this is only a temporary setup for this spring. I hope that once the crop comes up and I have then proven the concept to the boss man, I will be able to build something nicer and more compact.

Well thanks for looking. Hope it was'nt too much a waste of your time. Till next time...............uh,......oh, however that saying goes............

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)