AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean maturity map for North America
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 3/29/2008 12:00 (#344674)
Subject: Soybean maturity map for North America

Martinsville, Ohio

Brian E. Oregon and I were discussing soybean maturities for location.

Somewhere I found a map on the web that showed the maturity adaptation from north to south.

You would know I can find it when I need it.

Anyone have that chart link handy?

Also maturity expressed in days or heat units would be good.

I linked these things in the past but its been awhile and I can't find them.

Thanks,

Ed Winkle

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Clay-All-Over
Posted 3/29/2008 12:14 (#344681 - in reply to #344674)
Subject: RE: Soybean maturity map for North America

Eastern Ontario
Ed, I found this one.

(ScreenShot031 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ScreenShot031 (Medium).jpg (80KB - 1128 downloads)
Bill Moyer
Posted 3/29/2008 12:23 (#344691 - in reply to #344681)
Subject: Re: Soybean maturity map for North America

Coldwater, Michigan
I know the map is for the area of best adaptation, but if I didn't know some history, and was to try to sell seed by that map I would miss pretty badly. For instance by that map group 4 soybeans should only be planted in the most southern areas of Ohio. When I was selling in the area for Callahan Seeds we sold group 4's as far north as Columbus, Ohio and did fairly well. They were not as popular as our mid 3's however.

If I was to go by the map: group 2's would be a full as we should go in southern Michigan. However, early to mid group 3 works really well as far north as Lansing, Michigan. Experience counts!

Deadduck
Posted 3/29/2008 13:48 (#344750 - in reply to #344691)

Northeast Louisiana
Hell, we grow mainly group 4's down here in north Louisiana.

That map's outdated by about 20 years.
Oliver1
Posted 3/29/2008 23:49 (#345203 - in reply to #344750)

Alton, Ia
I am about at the top of the I in Iowa, and 2.7-2.9's are pretty standard here.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/30/2008 06:49 (#345284 - in reply to #344750)
Subject: Re: Soybean maturity map for North America...OK

Chebanse, IL.....

RM map looks about right for NE IL.

We grow anything from 2.4 to 3.5 or so.

j doc
Posted 3/29/2008 12:44 (#344709 - in reply to #344674)

Michigan
Clay's map is similar to the one I have. The maps have not been updated in 30 years.

Here is a link to Soybean handbook from Kansas State- pages 4-5 may be helpful to you. Some pretty good info - I think Purdue has one also.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/CRPSL2/c449.pdf

Good Luck.
Bill Moyer
Posted 3/29/2008 15:02 (#344801 - in reply to #344709)
Subject: Maps outdated - other accepted University stuff

Coldwater, Michigan
The map situation is just one of the things we just take as gospel, maybe don't think about. There are several things that came out of "University Gospel" 50-100 years ago and we as a farming community accept them as "Gospel" without questioning them because that's what they have always said since before I was born!

1) were they ever true? Or were they best we could do based on our (the University's) limited knowledge at the time?

2) Some of the things I deal with everyday that are working in your field, and others, but not all, were heresy in the Agronomy departments in the 60's and 70's. Sorry that today the Universities are still preaching some of it. They obviously haven't been in the field recently (last 20 years). That's not always the case, but unfortunately in too many of them.

mike in sw mn
Posted 3/29/2008 12:49 (#344715 - in reply to #344674)

Walnut Grove MN USA
Check out some of the garden seed catalogs. Some of them have pretty detailed plant zones I think based off of GDU's. Gurneys(sp) is one that comes to mind.
COdrylander
Posted 3/29/2008 14:19 (#344772 - in reply to #344715)
Subject: Hardiness zones

NE CO
I think most of the garden catalogs have maps that relate to winter low temperatures and plant hardiness, not GDU maps.
showboat
Posted 3/29/2008 13:08 (#344725 - in reply to #344674)

Ed, while you're contemplating these matters, let me throw another curve into the mix.....last year, I had some irrigated what, intending to double crop with beans. Well, we had rain during wheat harvest, and and other complications, and I didn't get to planting those beans until about the 7-8 of July. Already had some short III's ordered for that location, but due to the lateness, and his experience, the seed rep suggested some group V's that he had. So I planted most of a circle to them....ran out of seed, and finished up with about 10 acres of the original III's. My crop consultant nearly came unhinged.......

Well, we were fortunate that we did not encounter any early frost--actual frost probably was a week or so after "average" date, but those group V's outdid the III's by about 7 bu./acre.......didn't set any records from either side of the field, but the V's surely did better than the III's.....I'm in south central Kansas, and the map above would certainly imply that we were NUTS to do that, but it worked THIS TIME. Showboat
Ed Winkle
Posted 3/29/2008 14:24 (#344775 - in reply to #344725)

Martinsville, Ohio
Good one Ken. We learned that one when soybeans first came to SW Ohio.

Your crop consultant nearly became unhinged, LOL. Never farmed, did he?

We say unglued here, I have become unglued over less.

We like a 3.5 to 4.0 for double crop or full season here.

Amazing how they compensate for sunlight, isn't it?

Thanks for the maps guys. Jim Dockery had the one I couldn't find but none of them go to the west coast so you are on your own, Brian. LOL

Ed
hinfarm
Posted 3/29/2008 22:16 (#345086 - in reply to #344775)

Amherst WI
According to that map I have 2.0+ 150 miles north of where they should be. The longer season beans always do better here because of a better chance to catch some rain during pollination, even if they freeze off.
Mlebrun
Posted 3/30/2008 10:01 (#345352 - in reply to #344674)
Subject: Comments

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Soybeans are daylight sensitive so heat unit accumulation and GDU's are worthless. Corns a different story.
The map is right for soybeans but would not work for corn using straight lines across the corn belt.
Anyone that lives in SW MN and eastern S.D. knows about the buffalo ridge. Worthington and pipestone get less heat units than redwood falls and other areas around the MN river which are North of us. 100 day corn is max for us but 1.9, 2.0 beans work about right. MN river area and fairmont east can run 105 day maturities but the same soybeans. Those areas are done planting corn and harvesting usually before we even get started. Its another reason you don't see much no-till anything in our area.
The ridge is an area of higher elevation and higher wind speeds thus cooler nights. Its why you see all the windmills in our area. In 20 years I expect windmills will cover our area totally.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)