AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acetyline Oxygen rack for service truck.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

G. DAY
Posted 4/4/2014 23:32 (#3797901)
Subject: Acetyline Oxygen rack for service truck.

Fresno, California
Here are some pictures of a tank racks we've been using around her for several years, the spear is cut out of 8 inch pipe and the lock ring I prefer is made out of 1/2 inch round stock, the end caps can be made to fit what ever size tank you want to use.

(IMG_0994.jpg)

(IMG_0993.jpg)

(IMG_0995.jpg)

(IMG_0996.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0994.jpg (62KB - 803 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0993.jpg (55KB - 814 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0995.jpg (55KB - 811 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0996.jpg (53KB - 795 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 4/5/2014 01:19 (#3797957 - in reply to #3797901)
Subject: RE: Acetyline Oxygen rack for service truck.

NW Washington
You should check with some one more knowledgeable than me, but I think the acetylene tank needs to be stored in a vertical position.
Check this acetylene safety bulletin. http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsofacetylene.htm#.Uz-fl_mwLYg
illinois-kris
Posted 4/5/2014 04:04 (#3797976 - in reply to #3797957)

IL
The major problem comes when they are laid over completely horizontal. When horizontal the gas is no less stable than vertical but the problem arises from the acetone getting into the regulator. Acetone in the regulator does some screwy things with the diaphragm inside and the pressure will fluxuate up and down pretty wildly. When I worked at the Caterpillar factory all our salvage welding trucks were set up like that at an angle. When I was repairing oil tanks in refineries we never once had a facility safety officer say a word about our tanks being set at an angle on the trucks and these are the guys that would send you packing if you wore your hard hat backwards without a welding hood hooked to it.

It is a pretty nice setup you have, way easier to slide the bottles in and out than a vertical rack. Great thing about most secondary welding/cutting equipment is that you have tools to make them already. G-body general motors rear brake drums make a really good base as well, more worn the drums the looser the fit.

Edited by illinois-kris 4/5/2014 04:12
Kentuck
Posted 4/5/2014 09:34 (#3798457 - in reply to #3797901)

Central Kentucky
That looks very good. As long as the Acy tank is not flat and is at 30 degrees or more you will have no problems. I have "hoods" on my gauges to protect them from damage. Your rack will serve you very well.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)