AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat 3208, fuel pump opened up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Johndar
Posted 3/11/2014 08:37 (#3746958)
Subject: Cat 3208, fuel pump opened up.

Geraldton,Western Australia
Hi all,

I got a mechanic ,to open my 3208 ,fuel pump up 20 yrs ago.. I tried pulling a bigger trailer.. All it really done was bellow black smoke.. Do you take a small cover off top of fuel pump,and turn a adjustment screw??Which way.In or Out !

Cheers,

The days are getting longer ,and warmer for you guys.. Shorter,and cooler here..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lilmule
Posted 3/11/2014 08:47 (#3746978 - in reply to #3746958)
Subject: RE: Cat 3208, fuel pump opened up.

arthur , ontario
could look through these videos?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYFfMWh_nP8&feature=share&list=PLvQ0a7MPn4hJ98kfIDlwt4eCASgcqNU6C
jbstein85
Posted 3/11/2014 08:58 (#3746996 - in reply to #3746978)

western new york
http://nevrenufhp.m.webs.com
4WD
Posted 3/11/2014 10:12 (#3747111 - in reply to #3746958)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Does the engine have a turbo?

If so, maybe that mechanic "turned in" the adjustment of the AFRC (air / fuel ratio control) (will have a boost hose going to it, on a turbo engine) This is mounted beside the electric shutoff solenoid, on a turbo style engine.

OR maybe he just "turned out" the fuel screw, under the medium size cover at the rear governor area. (This cover has two smaller bolts and one larger plug)Only need to remove the 2 little bolts and that cover will lift off. So, if you want less overall fuel, then remove this cover and loosen a small jam nut, and "turn in" (tighten clockwise) the adjustment screw that has the screwdriver slot on top of it.(don't forget to snug jam nut after adjustment) Start with either a 1/2 turn or 1 full turn, then go test drive it (keep track of how much, you turn, so if you have to return it to its original setting, then you know the total amount)

What is your air filter condition like?

If it's an engine with a timing advance unit, then maybe it has failed?

Edited by 4WD 3/11/2014 10:15

(3208 fuel screw_in paint program.jpg)

(3208 pump.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 3208 fuel screw_in paint program.jpg (37KB - 1155 downloads)
Attachments 3208 pump.jpg (34KB - 1649 downloads)
Marlhauler
Posted 3/11/2014 12:19 (#3747327 - in reply to #3747111)

Vicksburg MI 49097
4WD - 3/11/2014 10:12

Does the engine have a turbo?

If so, maybe that mechanic "turned in" the adjustment of the AFRC (air / fuel ratio control) (will have a boost hose going to it, on a turbo engine) This is mounted beside the electric shutoff solenoid, on a turbo style engine.

OR maybe he just "turned out" the fuel screw, under the medium size cover at the rear governor area. (This cover has two smaller bolts and one larger plug)Only need to remove the 2 little bolts and that cover will lift off. So, if you want less overall fuel, then remove this cover and loosen a small jam nut, and "turn in" (tighten clockwise) the adjustment screw that has the screwdriver slot on top of it.(don't forget to snug jam nut after adjustment) Start with either a 1/2 turn or 1 full turn, then go test drive it (keep track of how much, you turn, so if you have to return it to its original setting, then you know the total amount)

What is your air filter condition like?

If it's an engine with a timing advance unit, then maybe it has failed?

I always wondered how to do that? I had a pump rebuilt because my crank shaft pto vibrations caused the pump to come loose and destroy the aluminum housing. I have had many failures of this nature.

The guy who is asking how to turn a 3208 Cat up did not state if he has a natural or a turbo. If you turn up any turbo engine it tends to spool the turbo more push in more air and make more power.

Most engines you could turn up until they melt a piston.

Anyway the re builder turned mine up.. to I would say 300 HP or more.. It would really get with it and could always pull one gear higher with my 10 speed. It's 6 wheel drive and I have a 3 speed transfer case. It was late Fall early winter ,, I knew the engine was getting too much fuel had 12,000 hours on it and it started knocking .... it;s still stetting on my shop floor.

Next I put in a Jasper rebuilt that they claim dynoed 265 HP this engine runs to hot and can blow head gaskets if I'm not real careful .. yes I know my radiator is too small and shot with over 17,000 hours on it since I had it record.. this 1968 FWD was originally a RD 501 IH gas engine in it with 6.5 to 1 compression ratio.

My next step is to try water and methanol injection... I really need a much bigger radiator and bigger fan... I could try and after cooler too...

The engine itself could handle more power I think ,,, because they are getting 5,000 HP out of them in pulling tractors... that is on methanol a very cool fuel..
Johndar
Posted 3/12/2014 08:54 (#3749061 - in reply to #3746958)

Geraldton,Western Australia
Hi all. Yes this is a non turbo 3208.. Thanks so much for your input.. Awesome..
Marlhauler
Posted 3/23/2014 14:16 (#3770997 - in reply to #3746958)

Vicksburg MI 49097
Johndar - 3/11/2014 08:37

Hi all,

I got a mechanic ,to open my 3208 ,fuel pump up 20 yrs ago.. I tried pulling a bigger trailer.. All it really done was bellow black smoke.. Do you take a small cover off top of fuel pump,and turn a adjustment screw??Which way.In or Out !

Cheers,

The days are getting longer ,and warmer for you guys.. Shorter,and cooler here..

You could gain some power with water methanol injection especially when it's hot out.

http://www.snowperformance.net/industrial-fleet-and-class-7-and-8-a...

http://www.snowperformance.net/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)