AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Holstein steer....what am I looking at?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

danceswithcows
Posted 3/6/2012 08:23 (#2270744)
Subject: Holstein steer....what am I looking at?

SWIL
Hi folks. I've been reading here for a long time and replying to threads infrequently and this will be the first thread I start. I've learned a lot and have searched past posts looking for answers, but haven't had much luck or maybe I don't know how to find what I'm looking for. Last night I noticed one of my steers that I got two weeks ago has developed some swelling in its navel area. I'm not sure what I am looking at here and would appreciate input from some of the more experienced folks here. A little background on the steer. He should be around 525 lbs, banded when he was little, was on a self feeder with corn and accuration pellets before I got him, and has been on a shipping and receiving feed since he got here. The past few days I have been introducing a little at a time the tmr that they are receiving now, which has corn silage, corn gluten pellets, ground corn and an accuration pellet with balancer. He eats, poops, but I haven't caught him peeing yet. He's pretty shy and didn't want his photo taken (they sure can tell when they are being singled out.) If this is something that needs to be fixed, I'd like to get to it sooner rather than later. Thanks in advance.

(34a.jpg)

(34b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 34a.jpg (46KB - 381 downloads)
Attachments 34b.jpg (45KB - 402 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
feelnrite
Posted 3/6/2012 08:28 (#2270757 - in reply to #2270744)
Subject: Re: Holstein steer....what am I looking at?

northwest tennessee
I think either a hernia or infection. If you can get him in a chute you will be able to tell pretty fast.
FarmGirlMaryJo
Posted 3/6/2012 08:44 (#2270793 - in reply to #2270744)
Subject: RE: Holstein steer....what am I looking at?

Sheridan, MI - 1/2 hr. from the mitten's middle
At the age that the steer appears to be, I'd sooner think umbilical hernia than infection. We had a steer about that age with an umbilical hernia, and the operation pretty much took all the profit out of raising him to finish slaughter weight. The risk in leaving it untreated is having a hernia strangulate. The resulting peritonitis and eventual gangrene would obviously leave the meat unusable. You may want to weigh your options of putting him in your own freezer now versus a wait-and-see approach. He may get to a decent finish weight with no problems. Only you can assess whether you want to risk it or not. A vet can easily tell you for sure whether it is a hernia or infection. We've also had umbilical infections, only in much younger calves. Even with surgery, the post-op care is pretty intensive (flushing out the wound daily, antibiotics, etc.). I hate to sound like the voice of doom and gloom here, but I have to be honest about the reality of the situation. The best to you...
wfb
Posted 3/6/2012 09:32 (#2270884 - in reply to #2270744)

VT
Hernia. Vet can do surgery at 500x the value of the animal. I have had some luck with adhesive bandage wrapped around their belly and back but it usually slides off. I would sell him and accept the loss as a cost of business.
danceswithcows
Posted 3/6/2012 10:39 (#2270987 - in reply to #2270793)

SWIL
I wouldn't call your response doom and gloom. I appreciate the advice. I'm glad I'm getting feedback before I stick him with another needle. If I would like to eat him, which wouldn't be all bad as the freezer is getting low, I would have to wait 6 more days for withdrawal time on the receiving feed. How fast can they go downhill to an unusable state? Do lighter cattle make decent hamburger?
garvo
Posted 3/6/2012 11:50 (#2271068 - in reply to #2270744)

western iowa,by Denison
had a feedlot steer once and we turn him into a heifer-couldnt pee so doc had him pee somewhere else-$50 surgery took about 12 minutes,was 500# then-he made it to market at1150#
FarmGirlMaryJo
Posted 3/6/2012 12:28 (#2271126 - in reply to #2270987)

Sheridan, MI - 1/2 hr. from the mitten's middle
From the size of the hernia, I think he'll be okay through the withdrawal time for the antibiotic. You'll know if the hernia strangulates as he will be unable to defecate and will act uncomfortable. We have had really good meat from cattle that size, and from the feed programs you describe him as having been on, I think he would be worth butchering. You may have to add a little fat or oil to the burger to keep it from sticking when you cook it, but that's not all bad. Keep me posted...
Southern Farmer
Posted 3/6/2012 12:52 (#2271154 - in reply to #2270987)

West Texas

Lightweight steers make good eating, might want to tell the processor to put a little fat in the hamburger. We always buy a pkg of junk(73%) hamburger to mix with our meatloafs and hamburgers so that they will have enough fat in them.

IL cow man
Posted 3/6/2012 15:35 (#2271388 - in reply to #2271068)
Subject: Re: Garvo it's similar to making a gomer bull

Buffalo IL
I can't believe you got it done for 50 dollars, but that is great. It cost's $50 just for the service call here.
John51
Posted 3/6/2012 19:48 (#2271760 - in reply to #2270744)

Pennsylvania
Looks like a hernia. I've had a couple that way, vet said just watch them. Fed them both out to 1300 pounds with no trouble. Depends on if you want to take the chance on it. Often it causes no problem.
danceswithcows
Posted 3/6/2012 23:05 (#2272504 - in reply to #2270744)

SWIL
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Turns out to be a good size hernia and may or may not be a problem. It's probably not worth fixing unless fats go to 2.50 which I remember reading somewhere is a possibility. The part that worried me the most was that it seemed like he couldn't take a leak, which pointed to the problem and solution that garvo mentioned. Later in the day he proved that he didn't have a problem with that. Now I have my first steer with a hernia in my feeding career and have learned things that will make me a better farmer. Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)