AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My corn harvest. With some pictures.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 00:15 (#898850)
Subject: My corn harvest. With some pictures.

Hi all. Today turned out to be a beautiful day with sun and slight breeze. Finally got to shell some corn. You have no idea how wierd that is to say being a complete green horn at growing grain corn.Smile Several days........or weeks ago, I had the corn down to high 16% moisture. Then......it rained.Frown And it rained some more.Cry So now the moisture in some areas was 18 annahaff. I'll sample some that is sitting on the combine tomorrow and see what it says.

Just to share a bit of my harvest with you since you all share yours with me, here's a few pics to go with my first ever experience "shelling corn".

Using my super secret CIH20'10108r30 prototype/experimental header, I started in. Sure is sorta tough on those plastic fingers aint it.

Kind of cool to see that. Never had corn in the unload auger before.

Even had to get another truck to dump into. Dust actually flew today.

Making progress and the sun just kept getting brighter. Life is grand.

Once again, completely new sight to behold. I'll have to wait till I'm done, as I still have 7 acres to do, but it is a different variety and I have no room to keep it seperate, but just figger'n as close as I can from measurements, I think I'm getting about 170bpa even with all the loss from the header. I was planning on a complete failure and getting about 80bpa or so. This was a pleasant supprise.

This is what I get in the tank.

I set the camera on macro and took this pic of that same pile. Does this look ok?

Empty rotor is about 420 and running about 380 loaded. Sometimes 340 or lower when the header collects a bunch on the very end and sends it through.

This is about all the ol' paddle fan can do.

It's a bit slow going taking in 3-4' of stalk and the leaves that go with it along with all the husks. But later as the day warmed, I was able to get 2.4 out of it.

No, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. That is a corn combine with R3s on it. And yes, they got some mud on them. First time for everything I guess. This combine has never seen mud in its life. A moist gopher hill is as close as its ever gotten before.

Wud'ya think Oso? Should we try to grow this funny looking crop next year?

Thanks to many here that have stated their settings for corn so that I could steal some ideas where to start. Ended up with about 420 rotor, 930 fan, about #4 concaves, vanes in medium, front helical concave blocked, second helical small wire open, and third concave swapped to a large wire I had sitting around. I figured I'd try the old Harvest services fixed air foil chaffer again after many years of sitting in the shed. Shoe set about 3/8".

Thanks for looking and being patient as I learn these new crops.

Any questions or comments welcome.

Thanks again.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dmax08
Posted 10/25/2009 00:22 (#898857 - in reply to #898850)
Subject: RE: My corn harvest. With some pictures.

may i ask why the $%&* your are harvesting corn with a platform?????????????????????????????? other than that strange front, the sample looks great
Mustard
Posted 10/25/2009 00:34 (#898866 - in reply to #898857)
Subject: Re: My corn harvest. With some pictures.

Kindersley Sk.
Thanks Pokey, at least now I know if I ever tired Corn, I know a small grain head will work in a pinch. The only double take I had with your pictures was the 20' header on the 1680. I've never seen such a small platform on that size on combine before, but I imagine a 36' head might be a problem in a 170 bus/ac crop.

Edited by Mustard 10/25/2009 00:35
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 00:36 (#898867 - in reply to #898857)
Subject: Does'nt everyone?

Someday someone should invent a header for corn. Maybe use some sort of gathering belts and some sort of roller to catch the stalk and pull it downward. What do you think? might that work?.........Smile

ps: I only have 20 acres and I could'nt find a corn head for anything. So...........I made do with what I have.

Cross Country
Posted 10/25/2009 00:37 (#898869 - in reply to #898857)

Ottawa, Ontario
dmax08 - 10/25/2009 00:22

may i ask why the $%&* your are harvesting corn with a platform?????????????????????????????? other than that strange front, the sample looks great

Old Pokey just doesn't own a corn head !!!

Looks great. I've heard of lads wanting to run the flex head into downed corn before, but the thought of running through standing corn has never, ever, never even ever occurred to me... Wow that must have been alot of material moving through the rotor. I have a few varieties of corn where the cobs are over my head, that would be a hard reach for the flex head....

Sounds like your corn turned out pretty good. Will you plant more acres next year ?
Ed Winkle
Posted 10/25/2009 00:46 (#898873 - in reply to #898850)

Martinsville, Ohio
That looks great Ole Poke! I cannt imaigine the crop looks like your from the Atlantic to the Padific but I saw it all for myself!

Grain looks quaility...

They want our grain if we can get it out. Should have put the cornhead back on but all of us are so tired running beans. I want those beans out. We had maybe 3 inches of rain but my plan is working, water going back where it belongs.

Thanks for posting your learning. Learning is a life long lesson!

Ed
sri
Posted 10/25/2009 01:49 (#898896 - in reply to #898850)

nw pa
nice clean sample you have there, many would do good to get it that clean. High moisture will wreck a good set-up.    git-r done.
Posted 10/25/2009 03:14 (#898918 - in reply to #898850)

Excellent ! That's cleaner than my sample and I'm only runnin' ears and husks through mine. Course I never felt they're payin' me for a sample THAT clean. Great job.
gough whitlam
Posted 10/25/2009 03:23 (#898920 - in reply to #898850)

Love the dog brother. I'll bet he would stick to you better than an unwanted mother in law.
Jorn
Posted 10/25/2009 04:51 (#898924 - in reply to #898850)
Subject: Oso´s answer to your question:

Denmark
That´s o.k. with me as long as I can be along for the ride!

Thank you for the great pictures.

Jorn.

Jon S
Posted 10/25/2009 05:15 (#898929 - in reply to #898850)

Nice pics Don.

Now be honest, you picked all the broken kernels out before you macro'd the pic. SurprisedLaughing

Can you explain more about the header loss?

Topshot
Posted 10/25/2009 07:54 (#898972 - in reply to #898850)

Near Richmond, IN
I'd say you did a great job-corn looks good. I always wondered why corn couldn't be bred to always have the ear near the top like with "tassle ear" and use a grain head to harvest. Now you've shown you can harvest regular corn with a grain head. Sure makes sense to me if you don't have a lot of acres to harvest and don't want to buy another head and you've proven it works.
OHKen
Posted 10/25/2009 07:54 (#898974 - in reply to #898929)

Ohio
Only on New Ag Talk !!!!!!!
Dave NWIL
Posted 10/25/2009 08:09 (#898986 - in reply to #898850)

Nice pictures. 2002 (I think it was) was the year of down corn. We had two 70 to 80 mph storms in Sept in the same week. Quite a few people around here finished their worst corn with a platform. They claimed a 30 to 40 bu increase compared to a head.
joe
Posted 10/25/2009 08:30 (#899005 - in reply to #898850)
Subject: RE: Your next invention should be

Stalk stompers for a grain table, although by your pictures it looks like you may have been able to get down the rows pretty well. Stubble damage on tires hurts. Looks really good though Don and like many have said very clean sample. Do you have a market there for corn? And forgive me if I've missed it but have you harvested the beans and if so how did they turn out?

Also Don, I had a friend visit this week who now lives in Portland OR. Actually I think its Tigert (probably mispelled), anyway he is pushing pretty hard for us to visit his part of the earth. You close to Portland?
dvswia
Posted 10/25/2009 08:41 (#899020 - in reply to #898867)
Subject: RE: Does'nt everyone?

sw corner ia.
HA!! that was great!

I finally got to see what a sunny day looks like..

also, the corn in that bin looks better than normal.. at least.

Edited by dvswia 10/25/2009 08:56
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:06 (#899049 - in reply to #899005)
Subject: Joe.

Yep, I'm just a few minutes SW of both Portand and Tigard. If you loked up US 26 on the Oregon map and went west from portland to exit 57, that would be my location. I can see all the signs around that exit from my place.

Beans did'nt do very well. 27bpa. Some of that was shatter loss. I had to swathe them and I know it is bad enough to show combining corn with a platform here, so I figured I best not say much about the beans.Innocent You know what I mean.

The stalks behind a platform header are quite sharp and dangerous, so a guy has to be carefull even where he stops to climb down the ladder. Had to do the best I could to avoid opposite travel of the direction the stalks were leaning, but so far, the tires are still holding air.

(DSC00095.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00095.JPG (77KB - 184 downloads)
Brandon SWIA
Posted 10/25/2009 09:11 (#899055 - in reply to #898850)

I get almost 1200 out of my paddle fan. Do you have the adjuster set all the way out?

Brandon
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:18 (#899062 - in reply to #898929)

Jon, nope, did'nt have time to pick the broken kernels out. You can see one kernal that is chipped for sure. I think the fines settle as the pile grows dont they? Most of the broken kernels are from the small wire concave. If you look which side of the kernel is usually chipped, it is because it was forced through the wires on the small wire concave with the wide part of the kernel against the wires. IMO anyway after taking a pair of needlenose pliers and seeing if the kernels would fit.

I was just able to take 8 30" rows with the 20' platform. I paid 6.50 an acre to have the corn topped so I would not have to take that much more through the machine. But sometimes an ear would hit the platform, then bounce outward just enough that the ear would hang over the syckle and get cut off, loosing the ear to the ground. Not many that way, but a few. Also the disappearing fingers on this type header would shell a few kernels off and spread them to the ground. I could see and hear them hit the windshield from time to time. Then of course, the reel would simply scrape down some of the ears that were still not dropped all the way and knock several kernels off. I hope to get out to the field today before the heavy rain and take some pics of the threshed cobs and loss.

All in all though, I was having a great time harvesting corn for the first time ever. Smile

Gunner
Posted 10/25/2009 09:19 (#899064 - in reply to #898850)

Modena, Wisconsin

Don,

That looks real nice.  Pretty good crop for that short of maturity corn.  You did a great job with combine settings, very nice sample in the tank.  I am sure it was a little different than running fesue and you probably couldn't load the truck quite as full!  I know your feeling on the beans.  We have a much harder time getting a good crop with them also.  We do look to have a decent bean crop this year, problem is getting it out of the field.  We should be done by now and only have about 10% out.  Most corn is still over 30%. 

Gunner

Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:24 (#899071 - in reply to #898924)
Subject: Jorn, was just talking about you.

Hi Jorn. Eero and crew were just here visiting with my neighbor. My neighbor then come over and we got to talking about all the cool equipment you folks get to use. My neighbor was wondering about equipment shows over in your area. I told him about "Agritechnica". Now he wants to plan a trip over there to see it.

Ya, Oso seems fine with growing pretty much anything that uses machines with engines to grow it. Smile

Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:35 (#899087 - in reply to #899064)
Subject: I'm allmost done with the sunshine John. I'll send it your way soon...

...at least I hope to. ! ?

Sorry to hear so many folks in your area are having so much foul weather. It sounds like its either frozen imature crops or rain that wont quit. Hopefully it will clear soon and you can get things combined.

Yes, it was a whole different experience "shelling" corn than run'n fescue. Beans were a whole experience as well. I hope to do it over again next year if possible. Both beans and corn. I seriously doubt the grass market will spring back that fast. People have to eat, but they dont have to plant or replant their lawns and of course if they cant afford a game of golf, the courses are'nt going to overseed so much.

Take care and stay safe John. REally enjoyed seeing your pics and how much Nick has grown.

FactoryFarmer
Posted 10/25/2009 09:35 (#899089 - in reply to #898850)

N IL
Very nice pictures Old Pokey thank you for sharing!

So do you think you will grow corn next year?
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:39 (#899096 - in reply to #899055)
Subject: Is there a change in belts somewhere in model years?

My machine is an 87'? serial #029057. I still run the original setup, and the driven pulley has the belt running on the dowells. Allmost slipping. For some reason I think there was a change in a later paddle fan model. ???
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:45 (#899107 - in reply to #899089)
Subject: Hope to,......however.....

....have to wait and see if we can do a better job securing a market. I thought I had this sold before I ordered the seed. Same as the beans. But wow did I ever learn a lesson about that. I hope to have finnaly found someone to take it high moisture and should be shipping it out this week.

If I do raise corn next I may have to upgrade or add to, the irrigation line up.

Thanks for looking. I enjoy your pictures and commentary.

christianh
Posted 10/25/2009 09:48 (#899111 - in reply to #898850)

St. Gregor, SK, Canada
Indeed, Thanks for sharing. You're giving me confidence that I can cut it with a 1859 header too. LOL!

How are the sickle sections fairing? Are you getting breakage from the thick stems? What kind of sections are you using?

-Christian
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 09:54 (#899126 - in reply to #898972)

Thanks for the kind words.

I have to say, after watching the stuff feed, I think 20" corn rows would do fine with a platform as the space between the rows was allowing an occassional ear to leave the header. I had this corn topped when it was just starting to blacklayer. I wish the topper was able to cut lower, but there are limits to the amount of material that can fall behind the bar and before the chassis on the older toppers.

Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 10:03 (#899139 - in reply to #899111)
Subject: No cutting issues what so ever.

Hi Christian. No problems at all cutting with a stock syckle, fine, top serrated section and standard combine guards. Only real issue is the plastic reel teeth breaking off.

I have been readin your threads with interest. I hope to not miss any next spring should you decide to try your hand at corn. I know you were considering a few new ideas for your area. As long as it dont break the bank, there's no better way to learn the details than to just jump in and give it a go. Please keep us in the loop on what you decide.

Also need to find a brochure or some more info on the Belarus 4x4 tractors. My neighbor that stopped by was heckling the Belarus brand till I told him of some of the features they had. Now he wants to know more about them.

Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 10:15 (#899160 - in reply to #898866)
Subject: I'd like to run with a 30'.

I understand what you're saying. It took me quite a while to get comfortable looking at pics on farmphoto that had even narrower heads on combines same size as mine. But ya, narrower heads for higher material volume. I still would like a 30' so I can run the ground speed really slow.
Buster 50
Posted 10/25/2009 10:37 (#899201 - in reply to #899049)
Subject: RE: Joe.

North West IA/western AZ
Great pictures as usual Don. I'm left wondering why you swathed the soybeans. Was the 1020 to narrow to fill the rotor?
Old Pokey
Posted 10/25/2009 10:50 (#899224 - in reply to #899201)
Subject: RE: Joe.

Lowell, my swathers are only 15', so it was completely impossible to keep the machine even 1/4 capacity. But the blasted stems were so wet they would not feed with the platform header. That, and the beans were so short and thin it would just build up in front of the auger and then let go and nearly plug the machine. I had to swathe them to dry out the stems some and get it so I could feed the combine somewhat evenly. A 30 or 40' swather would have been nice, but I would have had to go over 1,000 miles to find one.
Brandon SWIA
Posted 10/25/2009 11:02 (#899239 - in reply to #899096)
Subject: RE: Is there a change in belts somewhere in model years?

Could be. Mine's a 91 1660.

Brandon
christianh
Posted 10/25/2009 12:04 (#899305 - in reply to #899139)
Subject: RE: No cutting issues what so ever.

St. Gregor, SK, Canada
Cool.

I'm probably going to cut it with a str-ct if we decide to grow a few acres. My header has steel bat reels.

Which model are you interested in? I've got brochures for all of them ;-D
dmax08
Posted 10/25/2009 17:36 (#899673 - in reply to #898867)
Subject: RE: Does'nt everyone?

hey, it works obviously! just curious
Dan_wcIN
Posted 10/25/2009 21:32 (#900023 - in reply to #899239)

It made a Crop
Don must be something. I had the Helico kit from Gorden Harvesting on my 1660. I was running up to 1200 on it. I also installed the heavier Paddles. I'm pretty sure I got could get 1100 out of the fan on my 1460.

How many Gorden Bars did you run in it?
Redman
Posted 10/25/2009 23:52 (#900321 - in reply to #898850)
Subject: RE: great pictures and story

SW Saskatchewan
Tried cutting corn with a Massey head on a 510(think it was a 20' 1859 but it was back in '76 so I'm not up on all the details.

Had trouble raising the reel high enough to clear the stalks(don't know what a topper is) and yet feed the low cobs. Also those tables were so short from knife to auger corn didn't make a good fit. Newer tables, especially flex have a longer space in front of auger, Draper might make everything sing.

We grew a short season variety but we still had trouble getting maturity, at our altitude only get heat units in July and August when it is too dry to grow corn.

Is the grass seed market depressed? Because of slump in housing starts or have the cattle guys just run out of money?

The cotton picker thread reminds me how close we can come to being shunted to the trash heap-cotton, hogs, beef cattle and now grass-seed- makes me depressed!

Have a good one.

Edited by Redman 10/25/2009 23:54
Old Pokey
Posted 10/26/2009 01:14 (#900404 - in reply to #900321)
Subject: RE: great pictures and story

Thanks. I fully understand what you say about the cutter to auger area on the platform. Even my header was just getting the corn in.

A corn topper is just a syckle bar on a high clearence, narrow tired machine. It cuts the tops off the stalks. Same as a detassler, but using a syckle bar instead of a pair of rolls that pull the top of the corn out of the stalk.

Yep, grass seed market is not looking good right now.

derby
Posted 10/26/2009 21:37 (#901236 - in reply to #898850)
Subject: Hey old pokey

I love the pictures, exspecial the one with your blue healer, how old is he or she, they sure love to ride with their master!
Old Pokey
Posted 10/26/2009 23:30 (#901510 - in reply to #901236)
Subject: Oso is 3.

Oso, (he) loves anything with an engine. No-one can get near the forklift or the farm pickups without his permission.

Thanks for looking.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)