AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case 450 Dozer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 3/25/2014 17:04 (#3775772)
Subject: Case 450 Dozer

Oklahoma
What engine does an older 450 case dozer have in it? If the engine is blown, are they worth putting any money into assuming undercarriage/tranny is good?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlyLow
Posted 3/25/2014 19:53 (#3776124 - in reply to #3775772)
Subject: RE: Case 450 Dozer

South Texas

jcs,

I'd have to look up the engine model on my basic 450 with 6 way.  I do know it's a Case but that's all.  The front piston cracked on mine but nobody could give a reason for it.  It just cracked while I was finishing cleaning up a fence row to put in a new fence.  Whoever had it before me completely rebuilt the undercarriage so I decided to overhaul it.  The transmission is the three lever with torque converter which I really like and never had any problems with.  In my mind, it's sort of an overgrown Struck that I used to lust after as a kid. <grin>

I elected to do it right, so anything that could get replaced, rebuilt or overhauled got done while the engine was out and it was easy to get to.  Stuff I can recall is complete engine overhaul, fuel pump overhaul, injectors either overhauled or new, new water pump, radiator overhaul, hydraulic pump overhaul, all new hoses of all types, four of five cylinders overhauled, new blade edges, blade attachment points underneath built up and machined, every filter and fluid replaced, one brake actuator rebuilt, parking brake rebuilt, (starter was previously replaced), probably other stuff I've forgotten.

Price was well north of 10K if I recall correctly and that was 3 years ago.  [Side note:  For stuff that I have fixed and it works like it should I can never recall what it cost.  Stuff that doesn't, I can tell you right to the penny what I had to pay for the POS and I grumble about it for years.]  A local guy works as a mechanic for open pit mines in TX, and works locally for extra cash on his days off.  He liked having the freedom to do the job right.

Was it worth it?  Well, I doubt I'll get my money back, but the fact is I liked that machine from the day I bought it, so having it start and run like new makes me happy.  As a retired old fart who just likes to push dirt around when I feel like it, I'm blessed with that option and I did it.  I'm 70 now and it'll outlast me.  Come to think of it, maybe they can use it to shove dirt over my coffin.  That'd be neat. I also wouldn't have to worry about getting my money back...

I hope you find the solution that works for you.  Stetts

150pilot
Posted 3/25/2014 21:04 (#3776324 - in reply to #3775772)

New London, Wisconsin
I have a 450 track loader. It's a 1973 and should be one of the later of the 450s before the B models. It has the 188 Diesel engine, Where the B models used a 207. If you can find a used engine both of them should fit. On the track loaders not much changed going to the B models, other than the engine and a little more hydraulic capacity. I have a service manual if you need a particular specification.

Edited by 150pilot 3/25/2014 21:30
150pilot
Posted 3/25/2014 21:24 (#3776397 - in reply to #3776324)

New London, Wisconsin
My track loader

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (75KB - 566 downloads)
jcs
Posted 3/26/2014 07:03 (#3776875 - in reply to #3776397)

Oklahoma
Thanks guys. This one has a 6 way blade on it and so the thought was we could do minor blade work. Would be nice to have but we really don't that great of a need for it other than just handy to have and we don't need another "project".
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)