AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Avery mule drawn plows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lucky2Farm
Posted 2/9/2013 22:31 (#2887405)
Subject: Avery mule drawn plows

Indianola, MS
My Father , FIL and myself were digging around today looking for parts to make some 2 row garden equipment when We ventured off into the trees where over the years the really old stuff has been put and I started digging through an old trailer and we found an entire mule powered equipment line up. 5 Avery plows all with a different bottom plus a couple extra different bottoms. A huge crosscut saw and some other odds and ends. Found a picture of what one looks like restored and I can't wait to try restoring, finding wood handles for these. It was like a time capsule. My dad is 83 and it really blew me away looking at these plows listening to him talk about using mules.. Made my feet hurt thinking about stumbling over dirt clods behind a mule on a hot day in Mississippi

Edited by Lucky2Farm 2/9/2013 22:35

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (60KB - 381 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (42KB - 393 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (45KB - 354 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (56KB - 371 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (69KB - 388 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (21KB - 360 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 2/10/2013 00:18 (#2887528 - in reply to #2887405)
Subject: RE: Avery mule drawn plows

NW Washington
Some folks still plow with mules just for fun.

(DSCN1016.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1016.jpg (69KB - 356 downloads)
farmboy78
Posted 2/10/2013 08:12 (#2887723 - in reply to #2887528)
Subject: Re: Avery mule drawn plows

ec illinois champaign
Those slat bottom plows were supposed to pull easier,less drag ,,not sure if they really did ,or didnt work well in loose ground,you dont see alot of them,,i used to see some people that had new handles,,if you dont have any luck finding some let me know and i can try to come up with a source for them
ttop
Posted 2/10/2013 08:17 (#2887733 - in reply to #2887405)
Subject: Re: Avery mule drawn plows

scky
Looks like a gee-whiz, a lay-off plow and a nice little one horse turning plow. I would love to have a little one horse plow like that. It has been a long time since I have seen one of those, they are keepers for sure. I have used a gee-whiz (that is what they were called in this part of the country) but never had the misfortune of using the turning plows. I have watched grandpa use one when I was a kid. Those are good finds.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)