AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My old 850 Case Dozer restored
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 11/27/2007 17:53 (#247066)
Subject: My old 850 Case Dozer restored

North Western Alberta
Hey guys, heres a pic of my little 850 case dozer that I use around the farm. The thread of the old Cat dozer down a few threads got me thinking that some might like to see pics of it. Its so handy, its not even funny. Use it ALOT.

(My dozer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments My dozer.jpg (62KB - 422 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
IL_no_till
Posted 11/27/2007 18:01 (#247070 - in reply to #247066)
Subject: RE: My old 850 Case Dozer restored

Central IL
I like the flames. Rich would probably suggest a big chrome straight pipe!
Mad Max Perf
Posted 11/27/2007 18:14 (#247075 - in reply to #247070)
Subject: Re: My old 850 Case Dozer restored

North Western Alberta
yeah, when I restore both of my Versatile tractors, ( 800 and an 850, both '75's) I am putting nice big Chromie stacks on them. I am going to heavily undercoat the cab, and the firewall, and any surfaces of the cab that arent sound deadened with foam and fabric. Good seats put in them, fresh automotive paint, re-made decals, tint the side windows, and I will get another 10 comfortable years out of the old workhorses before I roll them into the bushes. They are both set at 300 or just over 300 hp. GREAT old tractors. Hydraulic systems in them suck the hieney though.

Edited by Mad Max Perf 11/27/2007 18:20
Tim swMN
Posted 11/27/2007 18:47 (#247104 - in reply to #247075)

Hendricks MN
When I was a kid dad put a chrome stack on a tractor, boy did I think it was cool. Then I drove it, nothing like have a mirror glaring sun in your face half the day.
Eric SW MO
Posted 11/27/2007 18:07 (#247072 - in reply to #247066)
Subject: RE: nice flames

Southwest MO
Cool flames. Will that be on an upcoming edition of CMT's "Trick my Tracks" show?
deeredriver
Posted 11/27/2007 20:30 (#247220 - in reply to #247072)

Alma NE
gota keep up with the green gang most of the combines have flames down the side lol
Jon
Posted 11/27/2007 19:14 (#247135 - in reply to #247066)

Callao Missouri
Max discribe to me your thaughts on the Case dozer design, apperently yours has been fairly relighable for you to put in the effert to make it look as good as it does.

I like the stearing system because you can have a powered turn, we currently have a 125 IH tracloader with the powershift and cummins but when you turn you have to disconect the drive to one track most of the time rendering the machine useless for the turn enless you stop and back up. But with the case you can put one track in high and one in low and away you go around the corner not a sharp one but gets the job done anyway. Please fill me in with thaughts from an expert. Jon

(n15932747_26.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments n15932747_26.jpg (9KB - 305 downloads)
FlyLow
Posted 11/27/2007 20:27 (#247217 - in reply to #247135)
Subject: Thoughts on Case 450

South Texas
Dear Jon,

Not sure about 850 but I recently cracked the front piston in my 450. That's sort of decision time and I decided to let my local mechanic overhaul it.

After pulling the engine, it became obvious that dang near everything you could see was easily fixable/replaceable with it out, but not with it in. So....everything in sight got replaced or renovated. All cylinders, hoses, filters, pumps, fittings, radiator, bushings, heck even the headlights. Six-way blade's tight as from the factory.

Spent probably $5K more than expected, but I never thought twice. Reason? Exactly what you described. I really like that power turn feature, torque converter and the one-handed operation. Maybe a hydro transmission would perform similarly but I decided to keep what I had. I expect this one will last longer than I will.

Take care. Stetts
dave morgan
Posted 11/27/2007 22:23 (#247344 - in reply to #247217)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Case 450

Somerville, Indiana
we did the same thing to a D6D this spring, pulled the engine, then the trans was right there easy to come out and found it worse shape than the engine.
Mad Max Perf
Posted 11/28/2007 08:17 (#247596 - in reply to #247135)

North Western Alberta
Hey Jon! Id be glad to help you out with what I know about them. However, you already answered your own question!
The hi-low ability with the hydrostat is AWESOME. I will put that little 850 against any D5 or even a D6 for a days work done. It pushes like crazy, and the ability like you said, to turn with a full load is simply excellent. The reliability has been excellent, just a few things here and there that werent too bad too fix. IT has alot of hours on it, but the undercarriage has been totally done, and is in great shape, and the engine was done, so it uses no oil, and starts awesome.
It has a six way blade on it, instead of a loader bucket, and for me, that is better, cause I can tear up dirt piles, and load the dirt into one of my old grain trucks with the tractor.
The winch I rebuilt as well, with new clutch and brake bands, and it works great.
The Case system also alows full turns, cause if you push an track brake, it dissconnects the drive to that track, so then you can do full power turns. If I was buying a new dozer, Id have a hard time not buying a Case... even though Im kind of a Deere guy. Hey, the father in law sells Deere, so sometimes you have to go with what earns points... LOL Take care, and fire away with any more questions if I didnt answer something. --Bob
dave morgan
Posted 11/28/2007 14:57 (#247943 - in reply to #247596)

Somerville, Indiana
hint: when your snap rings come off inside the trans of your 850, have the shafts regrooved so you can put double snaps back. remember Case has two of everything beneath your feet to do those turns. be careful with those long hyd cylinders on the push arms as those 85 horses are going to be testing them. keep the concrete in the center of the blade. just what I have learned from experiences that I wish I hadn't had. your tractor looks to be one of a kind!
Mad Max Perf
Posted 11/28/2007 15:38 (#247965 - in reply to #247943)

North Western Alberta
Excellent advice Dave! The side cylinders have gave me trouble, just as you said. I repacked them both, and that cured them, but they get alot of stress on them dont they!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)