AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad corn, need help, pics.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 7/26/2010 22:46 (#1289528)
Subject: Bad corn, need help, pics.

Mid-Missouri

Alot of ears look like this.

Second ear doesn't appear to have had a worm, but no kernals. Middle ear has worm on tip. Fourth ear has corn sprouting. These are all random ears picked from the field.

Let me know if the pics don't appear.

I can't find a good ear out there. From the field road this looks like 180+ corn, which would be very good for us. Turkey litter and v-ripped in fall. Anhydrous, cultivated and planted and sprayed before it came up in the spring. About a month ago tasseled. About 2 weeks ago sprayed I think Stratego and Coron via airplane.

I think I may have two problems.

One, obviously the ear worms (green worms in maybe 50% of every ear on the tip I open up). There are signs of past worms on most ears that don't have a worm present.

Two, on a few ears, it looks like the tip didn't get pollinated.

We have had overall a rough start to corn but a year for very good potential. I can't hardly find a good ear out in the field. It seems the worms have opened up the tip of the husk and now these nice rains we have been getting is sprouting the dented kernals at the tip.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Edited by seedcleaner 7/26/2010 23:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wayneNWAR
Posted 7/26/2010 22:51 (#1289550 - in reply to #1289528)
Subject: Re: Bad corn, need help, pics.

north west arkansas
I couldnt view the pictures but it sounds like you have been looking at my fields.

Edited by wayneNWAR 7/26/2010 22:51
farmertony
Posted 7/27/2010 17:24 (#1290350 - in reply to #1289550)

agrisure viptera 3111 head and shoulders above HXX or smartstax
martin
Posted 7/26/2010 22:57 (#1289572 - in reply to #1289528)
Subject: RE: Bad corn, need help, pics.

I can't see the pics either.  I wonder if you have too many megapixels - maybe you need to make them smaller ?

ruok2gr8
Posted 7/26/2010 23:02 (#1289586 - in reply to #1289528)

can't see pics,, but very hard to time insecticide for earworms,with your spraying two weeks ago you probably should have included an insecticide,,,monsanto did have a program to help pay for that if you used monsanto products for weed control,,,not sure if they still had that this year though

once they are inside the husk ,,, it is too late,,, best choice of defense is a hybrid with the gene that kills them (herculex,,, smart stax???) even then you can still see some feeding from them till they die

now I see pics the ears with no kernals on tips could either be something clipping the silks or just ears missing the "nic" heard that some agronimists are seeing more of that on ear tips this year as some of the silks seem to have been delayed in comparision to normal

what to do----not much at this point----learn for next year???

sorry --i am not much help???

Edited by ruok2gr8 7/26/2010 23:13
seedcleaner
Posted 7/26/2010 23:12 (#1289602 - in reply to #1289586)
Subject: Pics work now?

Mid-Missouri

I heard Herculex didn't help with ear worm.

What causes one field to have ear worm and another to not, given all else the same?

ruok2gr8
Posted 7/26/2010 23:15 (#1289607 - in reply to #1289602)
Subject: RE: yes i edited above post

moths fly in--- probably will go to the greener, taller corn??? not sure here

I do believe hearculex does control earworm ---but you will still see some feeding

may hve to double check with my dealer as its been a few years since I planted it
Ranchhand
Posted 7/26/2010 23:16 (#1289609 - in reply to #1289602)

West KY, Miss River County
Pix look good, But I don't know the worm!
Young Farmer 09
Posted 7/26/2010 23:16 (#1289610 - in reply to #1289602)
Subject: RE: Pics work now?

Belzoni, Mississippi
I heard that herculex didnt help with ear worms either. My ears look like yours. I have been seeing a green mold appear where the worms ate also. What is causing the kernals to sprout. I have a few also. Will this be a problem later on?
NEMOScott
Posted 7/26/2010 23:32 (#1289651 - in reply to #1289528)
Subject: Prank?

Callao, Missouri
Dented corn already? When was this planted? What population?

We did have a period about 2 weeks ago that it was hot and dry. Did you have that as well? Do you think that might have contributed to the lack of fill? Did the field emerge evenly? Only my replant corn came up even, just almost 2 months late.

How about some raccoon damage to go with that? I have areas of the corn on my own farm that has been pulled to the ground by some varmit.
ruok2gr8
Posted 7/26/2010 23:36 (#1289664 - in reply to #1289528)

dupont's website ---herculex states that it has moderate resistance to corn earworm
herculex XTRA would be the same??

but like I say you will still see some damage, but not anywhere like conventional or straight bt,
at least that's how it looked to me two years ago

http://www2.dupont.com/Biotechnology/en_US/products/plant_biotech_p...

the top pic looks like a corn earworm

that worm on the middle ear could be a western bean cutworm?? hard to see really good---did it have little diamonds on it's side or more of a straight line?

if you have enough corn population, you still could get 180 bpa,,some of those ears look good to me

Edited by ruok2gr8 7/26/2010 23:38
SCJR
Posted 7/26/2010 23:56 (#1289700 - in reply to #1289528)

East Central MO-Audrain/Pike Counties
I was looking at a side by side today that I planted w/ the new double pro genetics that are coming. The clean ears on the dpro were very impressive. You could see in a few ears where they started to feed on one kernel and died. This is one of the first traits I have seen that could really shine here in MO.
B58 Hustler
Posted 7/27/2010 06:50 (#1289834 - in reply to #1289528)

The Sands Of N IN
By looking at the picture, you can tell that the ears did indeed pollinate and form a kernel, but were aborted back.  Those particular plants did not have enough energy to sustain the lastly pollinated kernels.
YLEEF
Posted 7/27/2010 07:43 (#1289863 - in reply to #1289834)

The Monsanto Double Pro, Triple Pro, or SmartStax controls earworm. Herculx does not control earworm, the herculx brings western bean cutworm control. The Syngenta Viptera would also control corn earworm and western bean cutworm.
Pofarmer
Posted 7/27/2010 14:33 (#1290230 - in reply to #1289528)
Subject: If it makes you feel any better.

I just scouted a field with the same thing.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)