AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Storing Hay in Shipping containers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

eddie
Posted 4/16/2010 13:12 (#1164382)
Subject: Storing Hay in Shipping containers

Bought a couple shipping containers last year and they are the best thing since sliced bread for storage.  How would they work to store square bales in?  It would be nice to be able to stuff them full of squares in the summer, then sell out of them over winter.  Guys could back their horse trailers up to the container and you could throw the bales right in their trailer and go.  No need to mess the shed up with hay.  My main concern is the hay going through its sweat inside a steel container and plywood floor, would this be a problem?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ohio474
Posted 4/16/2010 14:06 (#1164417 - in reply to #1164382)
Subject: RE: Storing Hay in Shipping containers

north east ohio in the snow belt Ashtabula co

you would need some kind of ventalation, or it could get musty,and stale.
Big Square
Posted 4/16/2010 14:32 (#1164439 - in reply to #1164382)

Eastern Half of Kansas
Straw works okay, hay would have to go through a sweat, I would think 1-2 months before putting in there.
Cole Sibley
Posted 4/16/2010 14:47 (#1164450 - in reply to #1164382)
Subject: Re: Storing Hay in Shipping containers

We used to ship a lot of hay and straw down south on train cars, but had to stop because it supposedly wasn't arriving the way it was leaving. Whether it was the 'sweat', or the change in humidities/weather, or the length of time it sat on the train car (probably combination of all three), there was apparently some pretty crappy stuff arriving at the other end. That is hearsay, as I never seen what was arriving, but I know we were putting on top quality stuff.

I suppose if its stationary in your back yard, you'd have a better chance of not cooking it, but imho I'd be pretty leary of any sealed type container.
DaveVB
Posted 4/16/2010 16:03 (#1164482 - in reply to #1164382)

Grandview Mo.
My sunday school teacher puts his horse hay in shipping containers. Feeds out of it all winter.
RodInNS
Posted 4/16/2010 17:19 (#1164523 - in reply to #1164382)

If it goes in ~dry~, it will be fine. If it goes in at anything less than dry... it WILL heat. Ofcourse... it will also do that in the barn.

Containers wrk no different than anything else. They are good storage for a certain amount of hay. They're also a lot of work lugging bales from one end to the other...

Rod
thumb farmer
Posted 4/16/2010 18:01 (#1164540 - in reply to #1164382)

Port Austin Mi.
We have a neighbor that uses a storage container and he always uses salt on each tear. Just broadcasts it on by hand. Never has a problem, and its for horses.
JoshuaGA
Posted 4/16/2010 18:48 (#1164567 - in reply to #1164382)

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
Eddie, if you do do this, please post a followup, you got me curious now.
tater1086
Posted 4/16/2010 22:05 (#1164705 - in reply to #1164382)
Subject: Re: Storing Hay in Shipping containers

Snipesville, GA
I feel like after about 3-4 weeks after the hay has gone through its heat cycle you would be fine storing in the containers. But if you have to stack in an open barn to ventilate why move it to the container unless storage is a problem. The less you handle any commodity the less you have in it.
NKejr
Posted 4/16/2010 23:39 (#1164862 - in reply to #1164382)

Here is one way to do it  I'm just glad I wasn't the guy in Dubai to have to unload it!

(SC1.jpg)

(SC2.jpg)

(SC3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SC1.jpg (61KB - 364 downloads)
Attachments SC2.jpg (49KB - 324 downloads)
Attachments SC3.jpg (67KB - 370 downloads)
eddie
Posted 4/17/2010 11:38 (#1165192 - in reply to #1164862)

I thought export hay was compressed to increase density?
Big Stretch
Posted 4/17/2010 12:15 (#1165213 - in reply to #1165192)

SE Neb
I have always thought that a van trailer would be a deal for small squares for my operation. Could be moved around loaded and could be filled in field and brought to customer and left till empty. Marketing nitch in my mind but haven't gotten things lined up to try it. An old refer that you could put a fan on the front to replace the cooling unit and a set of vents on the back and crops like alfalfa should keep like a dream. The other idea I have had would be the tarp sided ones but can only guess the price on them....
NKejr
Posted 4/17/2010 19:59 (#1165439 - in reply to #1165192)

Yah it usually is.  I don't remember all the details, but somehow we got connected with a guy from over there.  They were looking for double compressed hay and we thought some about that.  They decided they wanted 10 containers just to see if they liked the hay and so that is why they were loaded not-compressed.  Part of the problem for around here is that there is no good way to load on rail.  So even if we double-compressed them, we wouldn't be able to put more in a container here because of weight restrictions on the trucks getting it to the railyard.  Don't remember why they wanted hay from the Plains instead of out west.

Anyway, that was five or six years ago and we don't do any hay anymore, so kinda glad it didn't work out.  Just an interesting situation.  I guess the dairy the hay went to was completely indoors and had a/c for the cows.  The cows had better living conditions than many of the workers over there!

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)