AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Left-handed monkey-wrench?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 8/30/2008 15:56 (#446983)
Subject: Left-handed monkey-wrench?

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Monkey Wrench

I don't know what the official name for this thing is, but it is a very handy wrench. Been in the family since I can remember. Not sure where dad got it, but it may have been at a long ago auction, as he was never much on spending a lot of money on new tools. Wrench gets a fair amount of use. A four foot long pipe cheater hasn't been able to break or spring it. It is the only wrench I've ever seen that will span 3" or larger nuts. As you can see, it will go to nearly 5". I wonder if something like this is available new today?

Here's a close up of the lettering on the handle.

Handle lettering

Top of the page Bottom of the page
frmrzdotr
Posted 8/30/2008 16:38 (#447000 - in reply to #446983)
Subject: Re: Left-handed monkey-wrench?

That, indeed, is a Monkey Wrench. The parallel jaw adjustable wrench was invented by Charles Moncky, and the name evolved to MONKEY. It went out of use by most mechanics because they favored the more modern version that we all generically call a "crescent wrench"
Tom Graham
Posted 8/30/2008 17:45 (#447029 - in reply to #447000)
Subject: I don't see a sky hook on it

Henderson, Minnesota
No use to me.
TJG in MS
Posted 8/30/2008 22:22 (#447173 - in reply to #447029)
Subject: RE: I don't see a sky hook on it

Itta Bena Mississippi
Nor a cotton hammer. The search goes on. Sigh. Tom
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/30/2008 19:07 (#447062 - in reply to #447000)
Subject: Thank You -- another one (pics)

I've always been told that you should learn something every day. Good info there.

Here's another oddball that's in my tool chest. Seems to be an improved version with features for gripping a pipe. Not near as handy as the first one though and the wooden grip isn't friendly to adding a cheater for those tough jobs.

Old Wrench 

Old Wrench

CATGUY
Posted 8/30/2008 19:12 (#447065 - in reply to #446983)
Subject: RE: Left-handed monkey-wrench?

Iowa
Those are very handy. You will probably find most heavy equipment mechanics that work with large hydraulic fittings in tight spaces will own those. Being able to get onto fittings at a 90 degree angle is almost necessary in some applications. Standard open-end wrenches are 15 degrees, Snap-on angle-head wrenches are 30 and 60 degree offset, so these 90 degree monkey wrenches just fits perfectly into the whole package, plus a pipe fits over the handle nicely. I purchased a set of four (different lenghts) a few years back out of New Jersey ($110, I think). I think Diamond and Crescent are some brand names. They also call them a "Ford" wrench when I was looking for them on the Internet. Edit: The first photo with straight, flat jaws is the ones I am refering to.

Edited by CATGUY 8/30/2008 19:15
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/30/2008 22:09 (#447167 - in reply to #447065)

I had to dig this one back up again. I put a 1 7/8" threaded rod on my air-seeder; to adjust depth of the center section and the nuts for it are 3". I couldn't find any end wrenches that are bigger than 2 1/2". Looks to me like there should be a market for new wrenches like the one I have in the first pictures. I agree that there are places where the monkey wrench is the only tool that will work
plowboy
Posted 8/31/2008 14:20 (#447543 - in reply to #447167)

Brazilton KS
Ed, I'm sure you have the necessary capability to make a 3" wrench from plate for your air seeder.  I never really thought about doing stuff like that until I noticed one of the mechanics who works on our stuff does it all the time.  He has quite the assortment of 'specials' on his truck. 
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 8/30/2008 20:00 (#447096 - in reply to #446983)

SW Ohio
I had one of those, except the screw was a seperate piece from the handle, on the same side as the jaws, and it didn't take a four foot pipe to break it. Mine opened to about 6" with 3" deep jaws.

Oh and it was right handed.
E718
Posted 8/30/2008 21:57 (#447159 - in reply to #446983)
Subject: Ed, I had a unique experience today

Sac & Story county IA
I had a fellow here today that has a masters degree in electrical engineering. I showed him a vfd, he didn't know they existed.
He has been busy buying and selling power grids around the world since vfd's got invented.
He brought home a jointer and wanted to run it in his garage without 3 phase.
Ed Boysun
Posted 8/30/2008 22:05 (#447166 - in reply to #447159)
Subject: RE: Ed, I had a unique experience today

So did you get him squared away? What did he think of the little marvels? I assume he'll be putting one on his jointer.

I have provoked similar shock & awe in guys that have gone to great lengths to make a motor vary its speed. The 3-phase converter is just icing on the cake to them.

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 8/30/2008 23:11 (#447215 - in reply to #446983)
Subject: monkey-wrench?

just a tish NE of central ND
I believe my grandpa told me a monkey wrench was made for the square nuts on wagon axles and grease cups on steel wheels.
Redman
Posted 8/31/2008 01:03 (#447270 - in reply to #446983)
Subject: RE:This is the day for this tidbit

SW Saskatchewan
With your left handed monkey wrench and Harvestkongs posting on Vise-grip.

The Crescent Wrench Company was formed to manufacture the moveable jaw wrench that we know as a crescent from the patent issued to Johann Petter in Sweden.

The drawings had been flipped when drafted to start production in America so American Crescent wrtenches are "Left-handed" as compared to European ones . (Or theirs are left handed compared to ours.)

30 some years ago before the influx of oriental tools, someone imported a bunch of the European ones to Canada (Bahco was the trade name). And it was a trick to get your thumb to spin the knurled adjuster the right way.

Dad didn't have many tools and most had come as part of a machines tool kit. The local blacksmith beat out the flat wrenches and we made do with whatever was.

But he was as proud as they came about his Crescent wrench, Peterson vise grips and Blue Point ball-peen hammer.

Are we ever spoiled today- everyone can have a tool kit a professional mechanic would have drooled over 60 years ago.
plowboy
Posted 8/31/2008 14:23 (#447547 - in reply to #447270)
Subject: RE:This is the day for this tidbit

Brazilton KS
I have some Crescent type wrenches which have backwards thumb screws in them.  I guess I need to see where they came from.  I wasn't aware that the Europeans built them backwards, but I sure knew that someone had. 

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/31/2008 14:08 (#447540 - in reply to #446983)
Subject: It's only 12" long but is this close?

West Union, Illinois

Did I Do That?  I just copied and pasted from another page.  I guess I am talented beyond my abilities. 

Rigid Spud wrench.  Back 15 years ago when I first set up a service truck Charlie told me I HAD to have one of these ...

From http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Spud-Wrench/EN/index.htm

Spud Wrench

Ordering Information
Cat. No.Model No.DescriptionNom. SizePipe CapacityWeightStd. Pack
in.mmin.mmlb.kg
31400-Spud Wrench123003/8-2 5/810-672 1/21.11

And Charlie told me while I was at it I needed a couple of these hex wrenches.  The boss said there was Rigid wrenches and all that other crap.

From http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Hex-Wrench/EN/index.htm

Models E-110 - 25

Ordering Information
Cat. No.Model No.DescriptionNom. SizePipe CapacityWeightStd. Pack
in.mmin.mmlb.kg
31305E-110Offset Hex9 1/22401 1/8-2 5/829-671 1/20.66
3127517Straight Hex14 1/23625/8-1 1/416-304 1/22.06
3128025Straight Hex205001-225-508 3/44.06

Edited by Mike SE IL 8/31/2008 14:11
Jump to forum :
Search this forum