AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help with an IH 4700 with a 466E
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/28/2013 09:13 (#2932131)
Subject: Need help with an IH 4700 with a 466E

West Union, Illinois

We have a firetruck that is causing us a problem.  We're a small volunteer department. We bought new apparatus on a used chassis a few years ago because that is what we could afford. There is a company in Alabama that specializes in these.  We bought a tanker from them several years ago and have been very pleased. This chassis was a rental (Ryder I believe).

The 4700 wasn't here very long before it developed a couple problems The simple one is it seemed to be losing power. The big problem was the engine quitting or the truck not starting.  Took it to the IH dealer west of us (We're halfway between 2 of them) who replaced the high pressure pump, throttle position sensor, etc.  The next time it failed they were covered over so we had it towed to the dealer east of us.  They found a bad wire and had us up and going in 2 hours!  This winter it started losing antifreeze into the oil.  In frame overhaul and it's back going.  I drove it home, backed up to the firehouse, and it died.

It started right back up but that made me a bit apprehensive. Yesterday we had a kitchen stove fire.  Firefighter started the truck and went to put on his gear (SOP for us).  Truck died.  Cranked like there was no tomorrow, but would not fire ... kind of like pulling the coil wire on an old Chevy. 

Typically when this happens the driver cranks it until the batteries are down, so we either jump it or put a 110 volt charger on it.  After the batteries get back up it will usually fire right off.  So to me it seems it is very sensitive to low voltage. Talking to IH service and one of our firefighters who is a mechanic they seem to think the varous computer components should not be that sensitive.  If it has the juice to crank well it has the juice to work right.

One possibility throw out is a bad electrical connection or wire.  Giving the voltage just a little boost is enough to overcome the resistance or bad connection and get things working.

I need ideas.  Replacing it is not a possibility as this time.  We are still a year or two from havng it paid for.  Even if someone gave us a new chassis it has been estimated it would take $5-$10,000 to get the aparatus switched over  (This is one where the pump is driven by the main driveshaft.  When pumping the truck will not move).

Anybody have experience with a 4700 with a 466E that can point me in the right direction?

Edited by Mike SE IL 2/28/2013 09:18

(DSCF0262 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0262 (Small).JPG (59KB - 1210 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willow creek
Posted 2/28/2013 09:33 (#2932177 - in reply to #2932131)
Subject: Re: Need help with an IH 4700 with a 466E

NCND
Fuel shut off selinoid?
Mike SE IL
Posted 2/28/2013 10:19 (#2932255 - in reply to #2932131)
Subject: RE: Need help with an IH 4700 with a 466E

West Union, Illinois

I don't know that it has a single solenoid.  I runs a high presure pump into a common rail system. One thing I am going to check on I found mentioned in a couple forums is a screen in the fuel system

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/1998-international-4700-dt466e-question-first-post-t299239.html

http://townation.com/forum/?action=goto&search=1#topic/International-DT466.htm

I'm not convinced this is the problem but it looks like something we need to check anyway

bollpuller
Posted 2/28/2013 10:22 (#2932262 - in reply to #2932131)

Grandfield, Ok.
Most likely some where in the wiring. IH must have hired a bunch of ford engineers for their electrical. Probably in a loose wire or ground.
White Workhorse
Posted 2/28/2013 10:43 (#2932291 - in reply to #2932131)

Sourthern WI
If it was my truck, it would be getting brand new positive and negative battery cables, batteries, and a new key switch, plus I would scourer the entire truck cleaning grounds and looking for wire rubs. All of those have bit me in the past with similar type issues.
hillcrest
Posted 2/28/2013 11:28 (#2932361 - in reply to #2932291)

EC Illinois
I had an issue with an N14 that would die like you shut the key off (usually going down the road). You could crank it and no start but turn the key off and turn it back on and it would fire right back up like nothing was wrong. The oil pressure sending unit has 2 circuits in it...one to feed the guage and one to feed the computer. Replaced that and no more trouble.
DL2
Posted 2/28/2013 11:38 (#2932383 - in reply to #2932131)

Northern Iowa
Sounds like the same problem we have had. Didn't want to have the truck towed to the IH dealership 50 miles away, so asked the service manager what it could be. He suggested replacing the cam sensor or the crankshaft sensor, and we started with the cam sensor which he said was the most common one to fail. It worked! it's any easy job. It's the sensor on the right front side of the engine.
Browtrucking
Posted 2/28/2013 11:59 (#2932427 - in reply to #2932383)

halfway between Lapeer and Port Huron, MI
466E and 444E use power directly (via seperate wire) from the battery box there is a power and ground wire approx. 10 guage wire with a fuse attached at the battery cables. These wires are the power and ground to the ECM check these wires very carefully from the b-box to the firewall especially near the bellhousing area and any plugs they are notorius for corrosion and rub through. If the Ecm drops below 11 volts for more than 3 seconds while cranking it will not turn on the fuel. There is also a rubber check ball that gives trouble in the fuel strainer system I have not changed one but they disintegrate and cause issues. If you change the cam sensor install one from a 444E it advances the timing 3 degrees. Also there is no fuel shut off solenoid it is a completly fly by wire system. P.S. make sure it's full of oil (seen that many times also).
towman2000
Posted 2/28/2013 12:26 (#2932486 - in reply to #2932427)

SouthCentral WI
Mike, Brow gave some excellent advise and you will probably find the problem in above comments. The only thing I can think to add is to throw a high pressure gauge on the oil rail galley of the head and make sure it is coming up to pressure when it cranks. Better voltage gives faster cranks which gives better oil psi.
Let us know what happens
Towman
Brian in E Ore
Posted 2/28/2013 12:33 (#2932504 - in reply to #2932131)

Malheur County Oregon
Coolant level sensor???
mmwithlm
Posted 2/28/2013 18:14 (#2933005 - in reply to #2932131)

central wisconsin
Had several issues thru the years that caused that. Corrosion in the battery box on the ecm fuse holders is fairly common. The last one was a 2001 that did that. It had 2 relays on the center of the firewall just above the valve cover. These relays supply power to the ecm. As the truck gets older the female spade terminals loose some of their tension on the spades of the relay. When the engine won't start open the battery box and wiggle the fuse connectors on the front side of the battery. If that don't work open the hood and wiggle the harnesses going into the 2 power relay. I would guess that it is the ecm fuse holders in the battery box and by hooking up the battery chargers you are wiggling the wires so that it makes contact. If you take it to a shop and they can't duplicate the problem they arejust going to throw parts at it hoping to get lucky.
mmwithlm
Posted 2/28/2013 18:22 (#2933025 - in reply to #2933005)

central wisconsin
Did you check for fault codes. Camshaft sensor on the front of the motor would also cause probems but that ussually involves shutting off when the motor warms up and restarting when it cools off. But if it is a cold only problem go with the 2 options from my first post
Mike SE IL
Posted 2/28/2013 20:43 (#2933433 - in reply to #2932131)
Subject: Thought I had it ...WRONG

West Union, Illinois

I spent the afternoon crawling around and under the truck looking, disconnecting and reconnecting.  I thought I had it.  The cables in the battery box had some corrosion inside the connectors, especially the ones the 14 gauge wires to the ECM went to. (see photo below)  I cut the wires, cleaned them up and soldered them to a new 3/8 ring terminal. Along with 3 other guys we looked and poked and prodded and decided maybe that was it.Truck fired up ... for maybe 2 seconds then died.

May I pause here and say grawlix was not the term used at this time.

One of our guys called a friend in Indy who is a diesel mechanic.  His suggestion is it sounds like a crankshaft sensor.  He says a camshaft sensor would probably let it run, just poorly.

We do not have the equipment to reade error codes.  We're more or less 50 miles to the nearest dealer.

Ideas?

(IMG12445 (Small).jpg)

(IMG12447 (Small).jpg)

(IMG12444 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG12445 (Small).jpg (31KB - 1408 downloads)
Attachments IMG12447 (Small).jpg (29KB - 1306 downloads)
Attachments IMG12444 (Small).jpg (27KB - 1287 downloads)
Kelly
Posted 2/28/2013 23:59 (#2933868 - in reply to #2933433)
Subject: RE: Thought I had it ...WRONG

NC KS
Your type of problems are seldom showing up on code scanners. If a 466 is like a 7.3, try the cam sensor. They are real reasonable in price and easy to change.
Browtrucking
Posted 3/1/2013 06:06 (#2933948 - in reply to #2933433)

halfway between Lapeer and Port Huron, MI
Mike, if your check engine light is not on there probably aren't any important codes if it is you can take flash codes from it via the engine diagnostics button with the key on engine off they will flash through the warn engine light have pen and paper ready they flash quick all codes are 3 digit 3 flashes=3, 2=2, 4=4 hence code 324. Check voltage at the relays on the firewall in the engine comp. if auto trans will be 3 of them center one is the ECM should be labeled, if man trans will be 2 the one on the right the left is the starter relay. the red/pink and white heavy gauge wire to the ECM relay are the ones from the batt box check for voltage there. many times a bad cam sensor will not log a code and every one of them seems to act different. We chased one onetime that had so many codes that there couldn't be that many bad sensors, they said cam sensor bad changed it then it still said it was bad and even said wrong sensor for ecm drove us nuts called IH they laughed and said we had the same thing 2 days ago, told us to unplug all the 3 wire sensors one at a time and try to start except cam sensor, 2nd one we unplugged it started and ran sensor shorted out and corrupted the comm signal to the ECM. sorry for rambling but there is no other way to explain Good Luck!
Bern
Posted 3/2/2013 08:50 (#2936364 - in reply to #2933433)

Mount Vernon, WA
Mike,

Part of the problem here is that you're getting advice from people who know little to nothing about this engine. Your friend in Indy is obviously one of those people, since there is NO crank sensor on a DT of that vintage. It uses only a cam sensor.

Factory service information is obviously preferrable to bad advice. I hope the attached images help.

(DT #1.JPG)

(DT #2.jpg)

(DT #3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DT #1.JPG (71KB - 1817 downloads)
Attachments DT #2.jpg (50KB - 1736 downloads)
Attachments DT #3.jpg (32KB - 1717 downloads)
Mike SE IL
Posted 3/2/2013 09:38 (#2936439 - in reply to #2936364)

West Union, Illinois

THANKS!  One of the problem I think we have is the 466 has been around a long time, but there have been different versions. So "Yeah we had a problem like that" may not be doing us any good.

I have to get some "Honey Do" stuff done this morning but may spend the afternoon with the red beast again just tracing wires and checking connections and a couple other ideas. I'm beginning to think we are chasing 2 or more different gremlins instead of just 1 simple problem.

Yesterday the Chief decided to pump the hand primer before trying to start it. (Why? Haven't a clue.  Just thought it might be a good idea.) Fired right up and ran for 15 minutes until the shut the truck off. So ... Did it really make a difference, is fuel leaking off, did he bump a wire while pumping it, did raising the hood shake a relay, is there a pressure sensor either failing or indicating a real problem,... this could make a bald man pull his hair.

Bern
Posted 3/2/2013 10:04 (#2936477 - in reply to #2936439)

Mount Vernon, WA
Mike,

Even factory service manuals can be in error. I realized after I posted the last message, that in the second picture, the ground symbol next to connector #426 should be under the letter "B", not "A".

If you think the problem is electrical, you will want to backprobe the connector at the ECM with something like a paperclip and check for the appropriate power and grounds. If you remove the connector and do this, high resistance will NOT show up with a digital meter unless you load the circuit with a 5-amp light bulb, or something else with a similar load.

Since backprobing a connector can sometime be a hit and miss deal, you can remove the ECM connector and find yourself a 5-amp load, like a headlight. Use that to check for power and grounds at that connector.

If you think the problem is fuel related, remove the line AFTER the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the head, and insert another hose onto that fitting and stick it in a glass jar half full of fuel and watch for bubbles. Bubbles will indicate an air leak at some point BEFORE the transfer pump ("negative pressure").

I wish you lived a little closer. I'd have my students diagnose your truck as a class project.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bern 3/3/2013 22:13

(DT #4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DT #4.jpg (43KB - 1839 downloads)
Pat H
Posted 3/22/2013 15:40 (#2983417 - in reply to #2936439)
Subject: RE: Did you get it running?

cropsey, il 61731
Probably obvious, but does the truck have a main shut off for the power and do you have a kussmaul charger on it? We have a 530 in an IH and most of the problems we've had were from the apparatus guys - wire going through metal without a grommet (killed our throttle sensor).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)