AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sharpe Cobalt HVLP spray guns
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 3/25/2007 22:11 (#125594)
Subject: Sharpe Cobalt HVLP spray guns

I saw a friend use one of these the other day. I was impressed with the lack of wasted paint and over spray while painting, he was painting a tractor hood at the time.  I use the older siphon type and there seems to be a fair amount of wasted paint and more over spray when spraying large items. I have a small siphon type gun that is a Sharpe and it has been a great little gun for small projects. I have an older Rodac Gun with a large quart Sharpe container for bigger items.

Just wondering if any of you have any comments on this model gun and if you can clarify all the different type model numbers.

I see there are models for primer only and paint only based on what I have seen advertised. However I also notice there are different specs. Are these merely different spray nozzles on the same body or are there other more significant differences.

Model 5812 1.2 mm

Model 5814L 1.4 mm

Model 5816 1.6 mm

Model 5818L 1.8mm

Model 5823 Primer gun 2.3mm

Here is a picture of what one looks like.

(sharpe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sharpe.jpg (9KB - 818 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Greg77
Posted 3/25/2007 23:18 (#125659 - in reply to #125594)
Subject: RE: Sharpe Cobalt HVLP spray guns

They're a good gun when they work. They also have a lot of internal parts . I have about 5 different guns and have never had a problem cleaning any of them but the Cobalt gun had to be sent in after a good cleaning to get it to work right. $70.00 to get it back. They are also very slow if your used to a conventional gun. There are better guns that are a lot less complicated for the same money.
scurfman
Posted 3/25/2007 23:24 (#125664 - in reply to #125594)

Sunnyside, WA
Our paint rep brought in a Sharpe Cobalt last year for me to demo.  For a budget gun, I guess it did OK.  Probably good for repairs and small jobs, but it didn't hold up to the painting job I had for it.  If you're looking for something good but affordable I've spoken to some painters very happy with the Sharpe Finex HVLP line.  Haven't used them myself but my friend seemed happy enough, was using them to repaint taxi cabs.
tommyw-5088
Posted 3/26/2007 05:49 (#125749 - in reply to #125664)
Subject: Re: Sharpe Cobalt HVLP spray guns

Texas
i use and like sata ,it will cost a little over 500$ to get a sata gravity feed model with regulator .but with good care it will be the last gun you will need . the sata is a HVLP gun too . for painting tractors i like a 1.7 tip . the 1.3 range tips are just too small to do tractors.
ekeller2
Posted 3/26/2007 08:03 (#125778 - in reply to #125749)

So. IL
I have a Sata also. Very good gun and easy to clean. We have tried other cheeper guns, but I will have nothing other than a sata. They just lay down the paint like no other. A 1.6 is what I have.
Cliff SEIA
Posted 3/26/2007 08:39 (#125794 - in reply to #125594)

I have a Sharpe Platinum HVLP gun which is one model higher in their lineup than the Cobalt. I've probably ran 40 gallons worth of material through my Platinum without a single problem. It's a simple gun with low air flow requirements and it will do a great job of laying down paint.  The HVLP gun will greatly reduce your overspray and with a gravity feed gun you can use every drop of paint you mix.  Here are some pictures of jobs I've painted with my Platinum over the five years that I've had it.

CJB
Posted 3/26/2007 08:55 (#125800 - in reply to #125794)

Huntington, IN
What type of paint do you use Cliff?
averagejoe
Posted 3/26/2007 09:34 (#125820 - in reply to #125594)

Minnesota
More information about sharpe guns than you ever need to know is here http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Ask+Dr.+Gun. If you don't find your anwser, post a question.
I have a platinum model, it is a very nice gun. Easy for the amatuer like myself to run. You cannot go wrong I don't think when moving from a syphon gun.
averagejoe
Posted 3/26/2007 09:43 (#125829 - in reply to #125820)
Subject: Re: Sharpe Cobalt HVLP spray guns link correction

Minnesota
http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Ask+Dr.+Gun

Link didn't work, drop the dot (.) after the gun. Guess I copies to much or something. Hope it works this time
Cliff SEIA
Posted 3/26/2007 11:50 (#125876 - in reply to #125800)

The first two pictures are PPG Omni MTK single stage urethane and the last picture is Case IH Iron Gaurd gloss red with a hardner. The middle and bottom pictures were both painted in the summer of '03, the urethane paint still looks that good but the Case IH paint doesn't. The MTK is running me about $105/gallon right now so it's about twice as expensive as the dealer paint but it's well worth every penny.
CJB
Posted 3/26/2007 12:06 (#125879 - in reply to #125876)

Huntington, IN
Cliff, do you know weather there is much difference between Omni MTK and Dupont Imron as far as gloss and dry times?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)