AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Green Pea Harvest and strip till sweet corn pics
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oregon Farmer
Posted 7/1/2010 23:55 (#1257733)
Subject: Green Pea Harvest and strip till sweet corn pics

Independence OR
We got our harvest started last week with our peas. Our cool wet weather delayed harvest and hurt the yields some as well as increased mildew, but at least we got something. As soon as the combines left the field we started planting sweet corn behind them. I strip tilled some of my acres with my Dawn strip till rig as well as conventionally worked some. Both fields I planted last week are out of the ground and looking good. The Dawn ripped through WET pea residue that was like 8 to 10 inches thick in spots, very impressive. We had some clods in spots but it was all followed by irrigation right after planting.

Scott

(Pea_combine.jpg)

(Combine unloading.jpg)

(Dawn strips in stubble.jpg)

(Strip closeup.jpg)

(Planting into the strip.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pea_combine.jpg (63KB - 376 downloads)
Attachments Combine unloading.jpg (51KB - 344 downloads)
Attachments Dawn strips in stubble.jpg (102KB - 370 downloads)
Attachments Strip closeup.jpg (113KB - 367 downloads)
Attachments Planting into the strip.jpg (94KB - 352 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim
Posted 7/2/2010 00:37 (#1257785 - in reply to #1257733)
Subject: RE: Green Pea Harvest and strip till sweet corn pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Oregon Farmer,  What was the elapsed time between completing pea harvest and planted sweet corn in the ground? did you put some fertilizer (maybe 28%) down with the Pluribus unit for the sweet corn?

Thank you for the excellent pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Jay in WA
Posted 7/2/2010 01:34 (#1257831 - in reply to #1257733)

Pasco WA.
Last week I watched a 16 row 1tripr and planter combo planting sweet corn after green peas. Was an impressive sight. I was really impressed with how well it did in the piles the harvesters left. I had to make 2 passes with conventional tillage to make a suitable seedbed.

Pea yields have been below normal on this side of the mountain too. Alos watch for corn seed maggots in your new sweet corn, they have been bad this year.
Oregon Farmer
Posted 7/2/2010 11:05 (#1258126 - in reply to #1257785)

Independence OR
We started striping and planting right after the machines left the field. As far as fertilizer goes I put 2x2 down with the planter and I will top dress the rest of the N with urea later. Jim, I did have trouble keeping the toolbar in the ground. I had to make two passes in the hard parts of the field. I upped the air pressure and that just lifted the toolbar off the ground more. I think I need to add a fertilizer tank or some weights to the toolbar for this summer work. This particular field was no-tilled to peas this spring and had been a tall fescue seed field for 4+ years prior. Is my thinking correct?

SCOTT
farmerjon52
Posted 7/2/2010 12:05 (#1258179 - in reply to #1257733)
Subject: Re: Green Pea Harvest and strip till sweet corn pics

Who do you grow peas for? It is has been a long time since we have seen Byron pea combines in the midwest.
Cougar
Posted 7/2/2010 13:55 (#1258294 - in reply to #1257733)

S. IL
Why wouldnt you just plant right into that pea stubble? it looks like a set of row cleaners would move the green stuff and let you park the strip till rig.

Edited by Cougar 7/2/2010 14:04
Keith on DelMarVa
Posted 7/2/2010 21:21 (#1258549 - in reply to #1258179)

what brand do they use? Oxbo now owns FMC and Byron, I hink they are the only game in town now.... see byron, FMC, Hamachek, chisolm ryder and Pik rite? here
Jim
Posted 7/2/2010 22:18 (#1258597 - in reply to #1258126)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The pea harvesters themselves are massive machines and cause quite a bit of compaction.  It was also somewhat wet under all that green residue.  It is likely you will need to add some weight to a three-point mounted toolbar to be able to use the full range of the airbags.

Three point hitches do not provide any downward force at all so all you have is the weight of 30" of toolbar to transfer. I would mount a couple plastic tanks to the toolbar and either use  them for liquid fertilizer or just put some water in the tanks when needed. Then drain it out when not needed.

It is almost always best to add enough down pressure to make the strip in one pass rather than go over a strip twice. The exception is fall and spring passes where the ground has firmed up in between.  I have not seen any conditions anywhere where we could not get into the ground as long as we had sufficient frame weight to be able to adjust the airbag air pressure up yet keep the toolbar gage wheels on the ground.

I would put 28% down with our banded tubes in the strip and forget the broadcast urea. You will get a lot more bang for your fertilizer dollar. This will also give you the toolbar weight increase you need.

I think harvester compaction maybe in certain wetter areas of the field with different soil types is the cause of needing more air pressure.  Whatever you did however looks liked it worked very nicely. IF you wait maybe a couple hours (depending on the weather) Trashwheels on the planter will fracture those clods. Curvetine closing wheels will give you the seed to soil contact especially important for sweet corn, even if it is a bit wet.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 7/2/2010 22:20
Oregon Farmer
Posted 7/2/2010 23:28 (#1258681 - in reply to #1258549)

Independence OR
These peas were grown for NORPAC and they have OXBO custom harvest them. According to one of the machines, the only new machines you can get is a FMC made by OXBO.

Oregon Farmer
Posted 7/3/2010 00:32 (#1258741 - in reply to #1258597)

Independence OR
This may seem like a stupid question , but I don't think that I can get 28% in my area. Most everyone uses dry fertilizer for most of the crops. I can get 32 solution but not 28%. What is the difference exactly?

So you would recommend putting N down with the tube mounted on the side and behind the coulter or mix it in the entire strip? Is 2x2 with the planter still needed?

Normally I put 50 units of N, 60 to 100 units of P, and 10 units of S in a 2x2 as well as another 150 units of N, 60-120 units of K and 15 units of S on Preplant and incorporate it in. That is our old standard fertilizer program that we have done for many seasons. This season I split up my preplant and put only 50 units of N and my S and K and followed up later with urea over the top to try and maximize my N efficiency. In all of my strip till corn both field and sweet I put 300 lbs of 17-0-34 prior to striping, however my pea fields I loaded them up with K prior to planting the peas so I didn't put any prelant on in those fields.

How much N can I put into the strip and plant sweet corn into it without seedling burn?

I am approaching my fertility program from a full tillage perspective, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Scott Setniker

(Topdressing Urea.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Topdressing Urea.jpg (44KB - 274 downloads)
tnfarms
Posted 7/3/2010 08:00 (#1258849 - in reply to #1258741)

SWMO
28% is watered down 32% for better storage in colder weather. I use 32% starting in late march with rates up to 100 units thru Dawns tubes. There was possibly some seed burn this year because it was dry for a period of time after planting this year and where planter ran on left side of stripped row and 2 or more inches deep, did not germinate.

If anyone can tell me how I can apply 60 unit of P and K as a liquid with the N, I am all ears so we just run N only and broadcast P and K in fall/winter.

While the Dawn Pluribus is an excellent design and system, I dont get along with their liquid tubes. They get bent and LH coulter wears hole in tube which in turn splatters N up and all over units. I am going to redesign the tubes this winter and sell the design back to Dawn for boo-koos of money......OK well........I made that last part up.
farmerjon52
Posted 7/3/2010 09:02 (#1258894 - in reply to #1258549)

In WI, MN, and IL you see a lot of 6156 made by Oxbo (formerly FMC PSC 156). We run a crew of 10 Oxbo 2440's (used to be called Legacy's). There are a couple of other crews of 2440's other than us. I don't know why they have not caught on more except for the fact that most are used to the 156's and don't want to change. I drove a 156 for a couple of summers in college and after being around the 2440's I would not want to go back to the 156's.
joeatdawn
Posted 7/3/2010 14:19 (#1259140 - in reply to #1258849)

I agree, there is definitely room for improvement on those tubes. We have already made them heavier wall thickness and changed the profile to more closely follow the coulter support casting. Maybe a big change is needed instead of incremental ones.
Jim
Posted 7/4/2010 01:21 (#1259757 - in reply to #1258741)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Scott, the idea of the banded tubes dropping the liquid BEHIND the coulter is that it is NOT mixed in but in one lower corner of the strip.

This is about like putting it on with the planter IF you can stay on the center of the strip with the planter. Staying centered on the strip with the planter is especially important if it the soil and weather are dry and the liquid fertilizer is about the only moisture there.

I have applied about 100 units of N banded this way while strip tilling corn on corn a day ahead of corn planting for several years. With a mounted strip till bar and a mounted planter I have not seen any significant plant burn that I can recall.

The liquid tubes have been improved in the past year. TNFarms we are very open to suggestions for improvements. Please take a look at our current one. Joe pls send Jerry one of your latest tubes.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 7/4/2010 01:23
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)