AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any full time quilters/sewers here?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

born_in_ad1
Posted 2/7/2019 10:30 (#7303348)
Subject: Any full time quilters/sewers here?

ESW ND
I was just wondering if anybody does sewing or quilting as their job? Second job to farming? Anybody ever check into it and what they found for a good company to work with or strictly on your own selling your own projects? My wife has been at it for about 7 years. I think she does very nice work. She has sold some finished quilts of various sizes, but mostly batting and other pieces. She's on etsy, ebay and another one I don't remember. You either have to sell a lot or buy your way to get up on the list when people search for stuff. Selling was ok to start, then just a complete dry spell. We are both kind of frustrated in a way. She would like to do this full time instead of current job(another story). I would greatly like her to do it full time as well. Her current job affects her health/mind in a negative manner, but currently have to stick with it. It also affects our son and me. She'd like to update machines and get a table, but with lack of multiple sales, the cost of the newer used setup does not justify purchase. We hear of many who are just soooo busy making quilts, but most give them away or sell them for cost. That doesn't work at all. She's contacted a few companies to sew for, but some don't respond back and others say they don't need anybody. Going to any local craft fairs is out. There's not enough people that go to them to even bother setting up. If you go to a larger show(200+miles away), then you need lots of inventory to set up with and especially if you are going to make sales. Craft fairs are more of an "impulse buy" type of thing.
Sorry for the long post, but if you have any insight on if this is actually a valid endeavor, please share your thoughts. Email is good if you prefer that instead. We would both like this to work. I'm all for adding an addition to the house for her sewing room instead of using up the bedroom. I'm also all for helping her sew or cut. So much cleaner/safer than lifting, draggin, cutting, welding and grinding metal that I do.(not for my job)

Thank you from both of us in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)