AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reflections on the time goes by post below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bshannon
Posted 7/28/2018 10:14 (#6897434)
Subject: Reflections on the time goes by post below

I didn't want to hijack boxerman's great post on reminiscing below. But I was doing some of the same yesterday, only laughing.

It's my year for repairing tractors. After replacing the clutch, TA & driveshaft with updated and heavy duty stuff, I was hoping I was good to go. Well, not quite so much. Smoked the PTO assembly on same tractor on the new round baler. So yesterday the mechanic was out to pull the whole thing and take it to his shop for rebuild. First thing he does is take off the single bolt that holds the drawbar in place on the 1486; which is when I started to remember....

Several years ago we had a 685 Case IH utility tractor with the same single bolt drawbar attachment. We still had milk cows at that time and husband was using it on the manure spreader. He hauled a load down the road and up the field driveway to spread. I don't remember what I was doing, but I was out in the yard, when after the appropriate amount of time, I hear the tractor coming back up the road. I notice there is no spreader behind it and figure that darn it, something must have broken. Husband looks behind for traffic and pulls back into the driveway. Drives it right up to the machine shed to park it. Shuts it off, gets off, and hollers quite loudly "where the hell is the spreader?" Now he could be a prankster, but I really didn't see what the joke was about. Really I told him, you took it to the field, what did you do with it. About then I realized he was serious that he didn't know where the spreader was! I took a quick look down the road and fortunately could see no sign of it. I walked over to the tractor and pointed out that 1/2 of the pto from the spreader was attached, but there was no drawbar. Found the spreader on the field driveway with the tractor drawbar still attached. I was relating this story to the mechanic and remembering it like it was yesterday. So funny, and the more I laughed, the madder husband got.

I thought of how once he stuck a tractor, which was a not uncommon occurence in the spring. Where it sat, the best way to get it out was to hook to the back of the disc or whatever was on it, and pull it out backwards. We hook up the chain and I'm thinking this should pop right out backwards without any problem, but it didn't, and as I looked back, I see he is going in forward gear and I'm going in forward gear and his tractor is just going-down.

It would have been our 40th wedding anniversary next month. Wow time sure does fly by......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)