AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog industry the next few years
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 3/19/2017 18:47 (#5910052)
Subject: Hog industry the next few years

SW WI
Well, my opinion is things have shifted fairly dramatically the last couple of years. More consolidation, which has been going on for a long time and probably more to come.

Where do you see some of these feeder pig co ops ending up? Individuals together for some size but yet not like an integrated packer owning everything. They really sprung up in the 90's and now a part of me wonders if they have had their day. I suppose maybe a large player, either indivial like maschoffs or Christianson's (sp)? could buy these out and continue to grow. Or integrated packers could also. It just seems individuals like myself but that are part of a system would be better off to custom feed.

I continue to work out details of an exit plan. Full disclaimer: I hope the shares in such a system have value yet when I plan on leaving. My barns won't but that is location, location, location. Do you still think there are people like me that are willing to put up with more risk for a potential bigger slice of the pie? I think a lot want to play it safe so I really wonder how it will affect my exit plan.

Edited by mikado 3/19/2017 18:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)