AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do with a harrassing tractor seller?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Caseman1954
Posted 3/17/2017 02:46 (#5904781)
Subject: What to do with a harrassing tractor seller?

Northeast SD
Long story short, a good neighbor of mine, has been for many years, came over last weekend about a tractor he was looking to purchase in another state. Too far to drive to see in person so he got help from his grandson to get photos, description, Case IH dealer service records, etc.. by email. Also spoke with the seller over a few weeks time on the phone and by texts to get a better feel of the history on it.

Everything seemed legit at first. My neighbor finally told the seller on the phone last week he would buy it if the Case IH dealer paperwork checked out good. When my neighbor got the dealer records, he found out the actual hour meter was off about 2000 hours compared to what the dealer documents showed when it was repaired. When asked about it, the seller stated that the dealer keyed it in wrong over 5 years ago. Contacted the dealership Service Manager he said his documents are correct and said the seller is mistaken. Also, dealer total repair bill amount was not consistent with what the seller stated, it shows about 1/2 the $ amount spent compared to what the seller state . So my neighbor called the seller up and backed out of the sale as too many things seemed "fishy". He thought it was maybe a "hot" tractor, lien, bankruptcy tractor the seller was trying to offload quick before the repo guys came, etc.... So now my neighbor is getting daily text messages and phone calls from the seller stating he will sue him as he had 2 other guys lined up to buy it but he was waiting on my neighbor to make a decision. Now the other buyers are no longer interested in it also. My neighbor stopped taking his calls and texts.

Any basis to the sellers claim and have you ever come across a issue like this? I know there are a lot of good farmers out there so this situation seems somewhat odd. I assume my neighbor is right here as nothing was put down in writing. No money exchanged hands also. I'm sure Dealers make sure their documents are correct to protect themselves from lawsuits and situations like this also.

Edited by Caseman1954 3/17/2017 02:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)