AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cheap protein
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dogg4585
Posted 3/15/2017 07:59 (#5900541)
Subject: cheap protein

sc ks
I have an opportunity to get fresh pork waste from a large food processor. Probably 5 tons per day. If the product is 80% water (I think 70-80 is typical for hot dogs etc) then this would yield a ton/day of protein/fat. What would be the best type of cattle to feed to add lbs? I don't have animals now but have always had this in the back of my mind. I know it would take a lot of dry hay also for a ruminant ration. My uneducated guess is 2#/day meat waste on a dry basis (so 10lbs wet) along with 20lbs of a cheap, low quality hay (crp, cornstalks, straw etc??)
If the 5 tons/day is fed at 10lbs per animal then I would need a thousand head feedyard type setup to utilize it all along with 10 tons/day of hay. The pork product isn't a set consistency as one day may have mostly hot dogs, the next day more hams etc. And it will be fresh and needing picked up almost daily. This is a large undertaking but I think could make a good business for an ambitious guy with an employee or 2. The pork will not be free, but I think will be pretty cheap. The cost of picking up/transporting will likely exceed what I have to pay for it.

Would this be a good fit for fattening up skinny cull cows? That would keep me insulated somewhat from the volatile feeder market. Or is this a stupid idea? If I could feed it fairly close to the food processor then the trans cost would be minimized. I could bale my own corn stalks, milo stalks, wheat straw but likely would just buy it from others due to the large quantity needed and cheap hay prices.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)