AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Small time hog operation help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

deeretech14
Posted 3/12/2017 07:37 (#5893594)
Subject: Small time hog operation help

SW Ohio
2 years ago the wife and her uncle decided we needed to raise some feeder hogs. I wasn't super keen on the idea until I tasted the bacon. We got them in April and just stuck them in a horse stall until July and butchered them. Fast forward to now and word has gotten out to more family and close friends that we raise pretty tasty pork chops. Also my wife and I are not quite making it a whole year on a 300lb hog. How can I extend my hog finishing season as cheaply as possible? There is no insulation or heat in the barn. The stall is roughly 12' x 16'. I have a feeder and auto drinker setup but I cannot heat my current one. We have been only raising 2 at a time but how many would comfortably fit in that size stall when grown to 300lb? I have considered cutting a door in the side of the barn and putting some hog panels up outside so they can have a bit more room, and maybe keep the manure outside, though somehow I doubt that will work and don't want to invite coyotes inside. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)