AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Synching dairy heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 3/7/2017 18:00 (#5884215)
Subject: Synching dairy heifers

SC Wisconsin
Those of you who ai dairy replacement heifers, do you sync them with shots or just breed off of heats? I am working on building my dairy herd and would like to milk on my own so getting them bred by 13 or 14 months is my target to grow my herd internally as quick as possible, but I have a hard time catching them in heat being that I work full time and have too many other irons in the fire. I have been just turning them in with my uncle's bull out on pasture but he has his work cut out for him breeding 60-80 of their heifers. The last group of 3 or 4 I put out, 2 of them came back open. The bull wasnt the issue as he was getting all theirs bred, but mine kind of hung out in their own little group away from the rest of the herd so i dont think he was catching them. Anyways, I want to breed them sexed atleast the first service or 2 so going all AI and synching them would be my best bet to grow my herd a little quicker I've just always bred them off standing heats and never used a drug protocol. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)