AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yeild results from cover crop plots
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

conservation cop
Posted 10/17/2008 16:17 (#484647)
Subject: Yeild results from cover crop plots

Gettysburg, PA
Last fall one of our producers here planted a variety of cover crops and then no-tilled corn in this spring.  I posted a few of the pictures on here this summer and thought I'd follow with the yield results.  The scene: farmer no-tilled 30 foot strips of cover crops into wheat stubble in August of 2007.  The strips included: berseem clover, crimson clover, red clover, hairy vetch or oats.  The remainder of the field remained fallow.  Corn was no-tilled on May 8 and the field received 27 inches of rain in the season although 40% (11 inches) of that was received in September.  Average precipitation for us for the season would be about 20 inches, We were a few inches short of normal for the months of June, July and August.  Not exactly drought conditions but certainly drier than normal during the critical months.  The only fertilizer added was 2.5 tons of poultry manure in December which, based on analysis, provided approximately 75 pounds of Nitrogen.  Don’t have the rest of analysis information right now to provide.
The results in bushels per acre:
no cover crop - 122
red clover - 117
berseem clover - 107
crimson clover - 155
hairy vetch - 139
oats - 48

Can't really explain why the oats did so poorly??  For the legumes, the berseem clover winter killed so I understand that being lower.  Not sure why the red clover didn't do better?  I don't see how/why both did worse than no cover crop???  This was only one plot and clearly not scientific obviously, but, I hope it is worth sharing and discussing.

Any thoughts/comments?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
agdevgrp
Posted 10/17/2008 16:49 (#484659 - in reply to #484647)
Subject: Re: Yeild results from cover crop plots

Southeastern Washington
Kind of quite out here in the field today..
IL_no_till
Posted 10/17/2008 17:52 (#484693 - in reply to #484647)
Subject: RE: Yeild results from cover crop plots

Central IL
thanks for the update. Nice to see posts from authors that aren't doctored to fit their own agenda. I know you are an advocate of cover crops and yet posted the entire result set even though not every cover provided the hoped for result.

Refreshing.

Would have been nice to have been replicated, but still nice none the less.

It will be interesting if anything comes to light to explain the differences.

I'll have to go back and search for the original posts to take another look.

Thanks again.

EDIT: found the original post. I thought there was a post showing all of the different covers, must be confused.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=58661&mid=4122...

Edited by IL_no_till 10/17/2008 18:09
ScottPA
Posted 10/17/2008 22:34 (#484909 - in reply to #484647)

Jersey Shore, PA
Interesting results.
Just put some outs out this fall for cover after seed corn and potatoes. They're up and looking pretty good now. Don't get much nutrient out of them(I don't think) but I like the way it leaves the ground for no tilling corn next year.

I did one year of hairy vetch back when we grew wheat and the corn loved it. Wish I could find a way to get it to grow through standing soybeans then have it as the cover when soys are harvested.......................ever had any experience with that?

Do the clovers fix N like the vetch?

Thanks
Scott
fieldwalker
Posted 10/17/2008 23:27 (#484980 - in reply to #484647)

Millmont, PA
Nice plot, thanks for sharing the results. I guess I don't really believe in growing no-till corn without at least some N banded! I'm guessing you are figuring that out. I have lots of manure and lots of covercrops but you need at least 12 to 15 gal of N beside at planting, else you will run out of N if the weather turns on you. You run out early (as your picks show) not late as the legumes and manure kick in July plus. I think it is pretty easy to write a Act 38 plan for 45 units of N up front and your yields will really increase. Thanks again. Gerard
kirk
Posted 10/18/2008 00:26 (#485029 - in reply to #484647)
Subject: RE: oat=high C:N ratio

Dills, FL
from my experience with rye, the high carbon to nitrogen ratio of the oat caused N deficiency because the soil bacteria attempting to breakdown the oats has first dibs on any N in the soil. this is one big advantage to banding N in a high residue system. even if the oats are not tilled in the oat root breakdown will tie up N. my 2 cents.
Russ SCPA
Posted 10/19/2008 07:59 (#485708 - in reply to #484647)

SCPA
Our county test plot here is no-tilled into oats cover crop. 15 gallons of N planter applied. When the plot comes off I will post up a complete breakdown of yields and inputs.
martin
Posted 10/19/2008 14:19 (#485879 - in reply to #484647)

1)  You are looking at one set of numbers from one plot with no replication.  How much does field variability factor in?  Lots I'd say.  It would be interesting to have a statitician look at the standard deviation to show where the real significant differences are.  (Maybe Greg Roth or his assistane Mark Antle could help with that?)

2) You seem to be using 100% of the poultry nitrogen being available.  Is that a realistic number? 

3) Looking at the N numbers, if you use 75 lb N from poultry litter, then 80 lb N coming from Crimson Clover.  That seems in line with what we expect. 

4) How much growth was on the oats?  Would that have an effect of the amount of N tie-up (as someone else suggested could be a cause) ?

5) How much growth did you have on that hairy vetch?  In light of the yield of the "no cover", I would have expect more from the hairy vetch.  How did it over-winter?  What was the size when you killed it?

6) I have to wonder what your numbers would look like if you had no-tilled those cover crops into fields harvested as corn silage.  I think I always see a yield response to planting corn into wheat stubble versus planting into corn stubble. In a year like this one, hopefully you would not have a lot of excess N in the soil after harvest, so your numbers would give a true(er) indication of what you would be getting from the manure and cover crops.

7) If you do this again, you should have a strip of "no manure, no cover", just for comparison. Enough for a yield check.  

I've read about Berseem clover years ago, and I remember that winter-kill could be a problem with it.  So we never got on that band-wagon. I've been impressed with the crimson clover we used so far.  I had some farmers plant some hairy vetch this fall for the first time.  We'll see how it works.  we'll evaluate next summer and then decide whether to push more clover, or vetch, or ????

martin
Posted 10/19/2008 14:27 (#485881 - in reply to #484909)

Interesting results.
Just put some outs out this fall for cover after seed corn and potatoes. They're up and looking pretty good now. Don't get much nutrient out of them(I don't think) but I like the way it leaves the ground for no tilling corn next year.

I have to agree with you - I like the how the soil is mellowed when planting into fall-seeded oats cover crop. Most times we don't let them get too big.  If they do, they get harvested.  Oats allowed to grow to boot stage, then harvested, makes a very nice seedbed.

I did one year of hairy vetch back when we grew wheat and the corn loved it. Wish I could find a way to get it to grow through standing soybeans then have it as the cover when soys are harvested.......................ever had any experience with that?

Is aerial seeding an option for you?

Do the clovers fix N like the vetch?

Yes.  Research shows it is not quite as much.  However, I have to wonder.... if you get a better stand, does that make up for some of the difference?  So far, I am seeing better stands in clovers(Crimson) than in hairy vetch.  However, it is too early to make a definitive statement on that.

conservation cop
Posted 10/20/2008 09:53 (#486427 - in reply to #485879)

Gettysburg, PA

Maritn, so many questions, so few answersUndecided

Majority of test area was one soil type the northern end of the field ,where oats were, is a less productive soil and may be (probably is) part of the reason the oats didn't do as well?  The N from poultry was calculated using 75% available given fall/winter application on a cover crop with the manure analysis of 60#N/ton.  Obviously this wouldn't hold true on the wheat fallow section or the oats and that may be reflected in the lower yeilds although the wheat fallow didn't seem to be affected nearly as much as the oats??  Oats winter killed at around 15-18" tall.  Nitrogen certainly could have been tied up in the decay of the residue, I just wouldn't have expected such a dramatic result.  We would have preferred to do "experiment" with no manure applied or commercial fertilizer, but, our producer wasn't going that far.  We aren't impressed with the berseem and really haven't pushed its use either.  It just doesn't get enough growth or cover before winter.  The crimson is still my first choice based on what we've seen, but, I can't complain about the red clover at all.  Some have mixed the two this past year.  I'm still nervous with the vetch, but, I will say that stuff makes one heck of a carpet if planted early enough!!  The residue breaks down quicker than the clover which is probably good for the N release but, when things got drier, the clover residue would hold more moisture.  I'm curious to see if we have any long term issues with the vetch as some have indicated.

conservation cop
Posted 10/20/2008 09:59 (#486433 - in reply to #484693)

Gettysburg, PA
I didn't post any picture of the whole test area as the scale was too large for a picture to do it justice.  I won't try and BS anyone with these "tests".  Believe me, I don't get a commission for farmers to no-till or cover crop!  My wife wishes I did.  But, I will report the good, the bad and the ugly.  I won't ignore the problems or the failures cause hopefully we can learn from them.
conservation cop
Posted 10/20/2008 10:04 (#486437 - in reply to #485029)
Subject: RE: oat=high C:N ratio

Gettysburg, PA
Kirk, I'm sure that is part of the response we see, but, I just wouldn't have believed that the oats tied up that much N to result in such a poor yeild?  With the added poultry manure, I would have expected the soil critters to be able to break down that residue much quicker and release the tied up N before the end of the corn season.  But, I will add that the soil in the oats really became dry and hard!!  When nitrogen tests were done in July the probe could only get about 6 inches into the ground (this isn't long term no-till field) while in any of the other covers it went in 12 inches quite easy.  So with those kind of conditions the bugs and bacteria probably weren't feeding very well anyway.  But, again the non cover cropped wheat fallow part of the field did much, much better and the soil conditions were very similar?
martin
Posted 10/20/2008 19:32 (#486678 - in reply to #486427)

1) The more I think about it,  the more I see the value in having that check plot with no poultry manure.  It would really have shown how much "available" N (or should I say "utilizable N?)  you were getting.

2) Why mix red clover with crimson clover?  The only reason I could see is if seed supply is limited.  If you take your numbers at face value - and that is questionable at this point - you got a 38 bu/ac yield response from using crimson clover versus using red clover.  Even if the red clover was free - and the drilling was free- I could still afford to buy the crimson clover.   (of course,  I really don't think there is that much difference between the red clover and the crimson, but that is what your plot shows.)

conservation cop
Posted 10/20/2008 20:43 (#486742 - in reply to #486678)

Gettysburg, PA

I couldn't agree more in regards to the no manure checks.  I was a little disapointed but I understand why he added the manure.

Mixture of crimson and red was mostly due to costs, but, I still like the idea of some diversity.  Granted, they aren't that much different,but, I like these producer to think diversity in cover crops and this is a real good start. 

conservation cop
Posted 10/21/2008 08:52 (#487074 - in reply to #486678)

Gettysburg, PA
Martin, sorry I had a typo in my response.  We used 50% N available not 75%.  So it was 2.5 tons X 60#/ton X 50%.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)